Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
ko66

Reply with quote  #1 
When i go to start my outlaw sometimes the starter gets stuck, like on the compression stroke. Would a weak battery cause this?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Stuck? Like it will stop turning? If it keeps turning but barley at the point of the highest compression, Then check your valve clearance, and if it still does it check to see if your decompression lever is messed up.

Reply with quote  #3 
Mine does the same thing.  And I just put in a brand new battery.  I have checked the valves, but will do so again just to be safe.  

When I hit the starter button, the starter begins to turn, and then stops at what must be the first compression stroke.  I just release the button and hit it again.  It will start right up, even when cold.

I have tried it with jumper cables from my truck.  If the truck isn't running, it usually does the same thing.  If I start the truck and then hit the starter button on the Outlaw, it cranks like a raped ape!  No hesitation at all.  Does this mean that my starter is getting weak?

Mine's an 08 525 IRS.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
 Mine got so it did the same thing.  I replaced starter and it helped a little.   I had a decompressor that wasn't opening the valve enough and I replaced it and it fixed the problem for a few months but the starter was still a little slow, then it got hard to start again.  I replaced the sprag in mine and now it spins over like brand new. Looking back, I should've started with the sprag. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
ko66

Reply with quote  #5 
What the sprag?

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
Its a one way starter bushing/clutch.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-One-Way-Bearing-Starter-Spraq-Clutch-KTM-ATV-XC-450-08-09-525-EXC-07-09-/321666364215?hash=item4ae4cf3337:g:9dgAAOSwPYZU2r8C&vxp=mtr

Not really difficult to install if you lean your quad over you won't even lose hardly any oil doing it.  While you're in there, you can make sure the big left hand nut that causes the "KTM Death Knock" is tight too. 

ko66

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
Its a one way starter bushing/clutch.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-One-Way-Bearing-Starter-Spraq-Clutch-KTM-ATV-XC-450-08-09-525-EXC-07-09-/321666364215?hash=item4ae4cf3337:g:9dgAAOSwPYZU2r8C&vxp=mtr

Not really difficult to install if you lean your quad over you won't even lose hardly any oil doing it.  While you're in there, you can make sure the big left hand nut that causes the "KTM Death Knock" is tight too. 

Thanks for the link! I have red loctite on that nut!
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
You're welcome.  I didn't really price shop that one, so you might want to check around and see if there are any cheaper ones there. 

ko66

Reply with quote  #9 
I know i am opening an old thread but the problem was the battery!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.