Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Logan Bryant

Reply with quote  #1 
What anti-freeze do you guys recommend. I'm thinking Engine Ice. Also how much of it will i need to do a complete flush and refill.

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #2 
I asked this same question not too long ago. I use engine ice. Though i know some members use other stuff. I think if you live somewhere where it snows you might want to check out something else other than engine ice. I live in FL. so i dont need to worry. As far as the amount, 1 half gallon jug should be plenty. I bought 2 jugs to be safe and i didn't even empty out one, so 1 jug is good.
ScramblerXLE

Reply with quote  #3 
Engine Ice is good because it's bio-degradable and you can dump it out on the ground.  BUT all it is is propylene glycol instead of Ethylene glycol in DI water.  Ethylene glycol (normal coolant) actually transfers heat better.  (Example: http://www.dow.com/heattrans/support/selection/ethylene-vs-propylene.htm

About the best heat transfer you'll get is DI water and water wetter.  Unfortunately, that gives you no freeze or boil protection, so you need a higher pressure radiator cap to live with it.  Which means it's easier to blow head gaskets, etc.  I've had good luck with it in the summer though with a 1.8 bar cap on the KTMs.

Basically, it's up to you, just about anything can work well.  Personally, I mix Prestone 50/50 with deionized water (or distilled in a pinch) and add Water Wetter to it.  I would recommend that stuff for sure as the science behind it is really smart.  I'm not 100% sure that it's compatible with propylene glycol, so you may want to research that if you do go the Engine Ice route.

2009 KTM 450XC
2009 KTM 250XC
2005 Predator 558 (project)
2003 Cannondale 440 (project)
2006 KLX 250S
2002 Scrambler X 500
Sold, crashed, or otherwise gone: 2008 YFZ450, 2005 Predator 500 LE, 2007 Outlaw 525, 2003 Cannondale 440
ScramblerXLE

Reply with quote  #4 
some info on Water Wetter:  http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Looks like it is compatible with Engine Ice, but it's not as effective as it is in straight water.  Likely because the glycol already reduces surface tension significantly but I haven't looked into that yet.

2009 KTM 450XC
2009 KTM 250XC
2005 Predator 558 (project)
2003 Cannondale 440 (project)
2006 KLX 250S
2002 Scrambler X 500
Sold, crashed, or otherwise gone: 2008 YFZ450, 2005 Predator 500 LE, 2007 Outlaw 525, 2003 Cannondale 440
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've had good results with 50/50 antifreeze and Water Wetter.  I have a temp gauge installed on my 250R and I've seen a 10-15 degree drop in temps.  
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #6 
so you guys are using vehicle antifreeze? where do you guys buy water wetter from?
Logan Bryant

Reply with quote  #7 
Well then I don't know what to get because our temperature in Indiana varies. In the summer we can see days over 100 and in the winter we can see days under -10. I planed on changing it after the winter season was over.

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #8 
I like this coolant.jpg 
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I also use Evans. NPG+

For those wanting to use automotive blends, just make
sure it is a non-silicate type.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow99
so you guys are using vehicle antifreeze? where do you guys buy water wetter from?

Most auto parts stores carry it. 

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Logan Bryant

Reply with quote  #11 
So the evans won't freeze at about -10F? I need something that will last through the winter and summer.

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #12 
I bet at even at -40 it doesn't freeze solid, more like turns into gel..but I will never find out... evans is like a thin oil.
Logan Bryant

Reply with quote  #13 
So you like it alot? i saw the price at $47 for a gallon. That is the only thing that concerns me. I can get a gallon of just regular vehicle anti freeze for 20 bucks on a good day.

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #14 
hear you on the price but its worth it I think,,, Polarisbob doesn't like it because you cant add water in a pinch,, however he is wrong about that ,,, you can add water in a emergency but you have to flush the system after you get home and add all new evans.  the nice part about the evans is it is not corrosive and is low pressure , you can open the rad cap hot. my engine temps went down a lot more with evans then with engine ice or water wetter.  another nice thing about it is you will not trash your engine if the evans leaks into your cylinder or crankcase.. I know well about bad head gaskets on my 600 mod,, if I wasn't using evans I would have scored the cylinder for sure.
I am not running it in all 6 of my atvs, just my predators.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #15 
i am going to go with the evans next time i flush any of my machines. here is the cheapest price i can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evans-NPG-C-High-Performance-Waterless-Coolant-1-Gallon-/360783521180?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54005fa59c&vxp=mtr

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #16 
you should buy this first
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evans-PREP-Fluid-Waterless-Flush-1-Gallon/360579704726?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25214%26meid%3D3808bf488b1c435b8f584d6522df7d5d%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10628%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D360585094815&rt=nc
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #17 
I didn't buy it last time but that was because I had my engine apart and acid cleaned my rad .. also if you go to their website they said 5% water would not hurt the coolant. so even if a few drops are left in the system its below 5%. since my parts were cleaned and dry I didn't buy the prep.
Logan Bryant

Reply with quote  #18 
Is it a critical to buy that prep fluid? After winter I am going to take the radiator off and clean it off and try to get all the fins cleaned off. And how did you clean your radiator the first time with acid?

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #19 
I used zep-a-lume , sparyed it on the outside and washed it off, then I filled the rad up with zep, drained it  and washed it out with water,, then i used compressed air to blow though the rad to blow out all the water. after that the rad sat for a few weeks before I installed it....  zep-a-lume made buy zep, the best aluminum cleaner ever !!!
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #20 
any cleaner with skulls and cross bones on the container has to be the real deal cleaner.
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Here's what I did about Evans.....8 years ago, I went and
bought a 5 gallon pail of pure propylene glycol for about $75.
I think it probably goes for $100 bucks now, but I was set
for a long time. I think I still have a gallon left. I put a little
orange dye in mine so I could see it better in the rezzie tank.

Reply with quote  #22 
Any body tried the Evans powersport version?
http://www.evanscooling.com/products/powersports-coolant

[image11_zpsa7ea1328]
shamrock246

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuj
Here's what I did about Evans.....8 years ago, I went and
bought a 5 gallon pail of pure propylene glycol for about $75.
I think it probably goes for $100 bucks now, but I was set
for a long time. I think I still have a gallon left. I put a little
orange dye in mine so I could see it better in the rezzie tank.

Do you have a link to where you got it I found the food grade stuff on amazon by the gallon, I would like to convert over when I do my thermostat bypass if not i'll just get the evens stuff. 

08 Outlaw 525 IRS,grease fitting mod on the rebuilt rear,grease fitting mod on steering system,grease fitting mod on front hubs,UNI airfilter

2013 Outlaw 90 (son's) UNI airfilter,grease fitting mod to SRA housing 
Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #24 
The company here in Erie is no longer in business.
The propylene glycol I got was not listed as food
grade and makes it cheaper.

You could look up industrial heating and cooling
suppliers. The company I worked for in the past as
their chief fabricator is a plastics plant. (Plastek)
They would get in 55 gallon drums of the stuff for
the portable chillers. I just don't remember the
company they purchased from.

Reply with quote  #25 
Thanks fuj

08 Outlaw 525 IRS,grease fitting mod on the rebuilt rear,grease fitting mod on steering system,grease fitting mod on front hubs,UNI airfilter

2013 Outlaw 90 (son's) UNI airfilter,grease fitting mod to SRA housing 
Gcarbon73

Reply with quote  #26 
I've been running Evans for a few years now. It really helps especially when you accidentally pop your t-stat off while riding or racing hard. Typically, I'll run it in the winter and run DI water and Water Wetter in the Summer, but this year I'll probably run it year around.
2009 Outlaw 525 IRS: Rekluse Z-Start Pro, +1 Rath Arms, LSR +1 Stem, Elka Stage 5's Front and Rear, Flexx Bars w/ODI grips, Labtek Steering Stabilizer, L8ton Custom Sway Bar, Ranchero Carb, Twin Air Filter, EHS Lid, HFM Competition Pipe, Gaffler Front Rotors, HiPer Fronts, OMF SBL Rears.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.