Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Clogged up my radiator with mud racing on Sunday and my temp light came on.  This was about 35 minutes into the 60 minute harescramble.  I thought hey, just try to finish, don't push it too hard.  On the next straightaway I feel hot coolant spraying on my right leg out of the overflow.  I knew it was time to stop.

So, I got it home and began the basic temperature mods.  I pulled the bottom hose from the radiator to the motor and plugged it.  I removed my thermostat and put two separate billet inline-coolers on the radiator hoses.  Lastly, I drained my cooling system and put engine ice in there.  If this doesn't do the trick the next is an oil cooler.

Mark Baldwin from Baldwin Motorsports has an oil cooler and adapter for the RFS motor.  He's taking my outlaw for a week to do some testing.  The in-line coolers alone on the cooling lines have dropped me 20 degrees.

Reply with quote  #2 
The thermostat delete mods only go so far.  The key is keeping your radiator clean in the first place and it should be fine.  I would get an oil cooler even if you think you don't need it because your engine will most likely thank you.  Just don't think that an oil cooler will solve a clogged radiator, because it won't.  Ask me how I know.  haha

Why don't you go with the polarisbob oil cooler?  It's a much less expensive option.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 

If it were my quad, here is what I would do.

1) Get an oil cooler installed. No ifs, ands or buts!!  Either get the Baldwin one, ( Great product, but pricey! ) Or put one together for yourself using my oil filter adapter I sell. ( Savings of over half the cost of the Baldwin unit & works just as well if not better depending on what cooler you go with. )

2) Do the full on thermostat mod. Pull or gut your stat & remove and plug the lower left hand nipple on the cylinder, or run two return hoses from the radiator. One to the left nipple and one to the right nipple. ( You simply put a tee in the return line to run to both nipples. )

3) Get the Mino high flow water pump from Thumper Racing. Cheaper and faster than ordering it right from Mino.

4) Flush out the inside of your cooling system by running a 50 / 50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water until no more "crap" comes out. ( This might take a few flush's depending on how much scale has built up inside the radiator and cylinder. )

5) Take the radiator off and first give it a good de-greaser type of cleaning / washing, then when you think it is squeaky clean on the outside, re-wash it with an acid style automotive mag wheel cleaner to get any corrosion off of the outside of the radiator. Personally, I soak my radiator in the wheel cleaner for approx 5 - 10 minutes. You will be amazed at how much dirt and crap comes out of the fins after doing this. ( And here you thought that your radiator was clean!!! ) LOL

FYI, the acid wash helps clean the radiator down to the bare aluminum which helps in the transfer of heat from the radiator to the surrounding air. Corrosion build up or scale build up, on either the inside or outside acts as an insulator and stops the transfer of heat. It also etches the aluminum ever so slightly which increases the surface area of the radiator fins, which aids in the transfer of heat. 

7) Fill with your favorite coolant of choice.

8) For muddy races, run some sort of pre-filter in front of your radiator. This could be something as simple as some furnace filter material that is zip tied in front of the radiator by a few inch's. ( Very important to leave an air gap of approx at least an inch or more to allow air to flow past the filter if it starts to get plugged up. 
The heat from the radiator should dry the mud as your are running and allow it to fall off during the race and not get plugged inside you radiator.

Do the above, make sure to stay on top of keeping the cooling system clean and your over-heating days should be behind you for good.

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #4 
Great info from Bob once again.

Personally, I leave the thermostat in tact and put the pipe cap plug with a small hole in the bypass line because of winter riding and quicker warm up time.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Bob!  Yeah we did flush it out about 3 times before it was running clean.  One last question, can you mount a vertical mount 6 row Jaggs horizontally?  What's the best cooler you guys recommend?

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes you can.  Jagg makes the best oil coolers in my opinion.  Good luck finding one at a great price though...I'll find it first.  haha

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawJim
Thanks Bob!  Yeah we did flush it out about 3 times before it was running clean.  One last question, can you mount a vertical mount 6 row Jaggs horizontally?  What's the best cooler you guys recommend?

You can mount it any way you want to. They just offer different mounting position tabs to make things easier.

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #8 

go to jaggs site and buy the 6 row cooler for the yamaha raptor 660. I bought this one and it fits between the front shocks. It fit so well that even the bolt holes on the coolers bracket lined up with holes that are in the frames cross beam between the shocks

OutlawJim

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
http://www.jagg.com/jagg/pages/atv.html

Is it the one on this page for $175? 

Reply with quote  #10 
We need some pictures Brick!

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Alright, so I got my running temps down almost 25 degrees total by doing several of these mods:

1. Cleaned radiator like a french maid. Wheel degreaser and also a soak in simple green did wonders
2. Removed thermostat
3. Plugged bottom return from radiator with billet aluminum cap
4. Installed two in-line billet coolers. These actually work awesome. I can put my hand right near it and feel how much heat is coming off it
5. Engine Ice for coolant

After riding for almost a half hour, pushing it pretty hard, my fan finally kicked on. I kept going and after an hour of practice I stopped. Fan ran for another 3 minutes, shut off.  No temp light or anything. SWEET! 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: caprad.jpeg, Views: 112, Size: 122.18 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: inlinecooler.JPG, Views: 115, Size: 126.13 KB 

TooSlow99

Reply with quote  #12 
Where do i find the thread on how to do what OutlawJim did?
xc44

Reply with quote  #13 
search thermostat delete in mods... its all easy to do, the best thing to do is pull and clean the radiator with the fan off it

gncc #334 masters
wnyoa #534 40+ A class
thanks to
treyson racin, 100%, leatt, kenda, AXO, Matrix concepts, Engine Ice, lucas oils
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.