Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #1 
I just installed a set of ITP Trac Star 22x11x10 tires on the back of my 2011 IRS, with stock rims. Despite not having any facilities available to me to have the tire changed, I managed to get the tires mounted and supposedly seated on the rim. I successfully got 3 out of 4 beads seated. The one I'm having trouble with is the right-side outside rear bead.

There isn't any leak at bead seating pressure (anywhere above 20PSI), but when I bring it back down to operating pressure (4-5PSI), it leaks all around the bead whenever a bit of pressure is applied to the side of the tire. When you look at the tire, it looks perfectly normal. It appears the bead is seated and properly mounted on the rim. This doesn't appear to be the case, and thus the reason I'm coming to you guys.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
if the tire is all the way seated and it is leaking at the bead it is likely one of 3 things either dirt or debri in the sealing ring a nick in the rim sealing ring or a gouge in the sealing ring in the tire.

i have had this issue before. i would air it down and wash out the ring really good with some soap and water and then shoot some wd 40 in the bead all around and try airing it back up again. if it will not seal the next options are with some tire slime or a tube.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Otis863

Reply with quote  #3 
Only thing I think to try is to wet sand the rim if it's got scratches or groves where the bead seats also grease up the rim to help the tire seat the bead easier and check the tire for bad spots on its edge you can also rotate the tire on rim a little then air back up and see if it helped on truck rims some times if you see the bead is leaking bubles around the rim after mounting with soapy water u can smack the tire with a hammer near the rim to get get it to seal lathe way up or if u dare u can hit the rim too but if it's aluminum rims it's risky
$500 special told me missing parts it didn't run.178000 mi 2001 Ford F-150, long box, single cab, 5 speed, 4x4, posy track rear, has a 2002 4.2L v6, "junkyard motor" ?hours. Not lifted,has all black trim and black stock rims, no dents, Oxidized tan body. I Fix it new air and oil filter, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, clutch kit and slave, wired in spare solenoid pack, a new used TPS, unclogged 1 injector, gutted cat converters. That cleared codes, check engine light went off. Yellin Look out I'm legal! Total spent $800.00 now in need or tires!
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys. I'm going to break the bead, and see if there are any deep gouges, or dirt in the area. Hopefully this is the only issue and I'll have it fixed tonight!
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #5 
I found the problem.

It came off right on the bottom of the bead. Yes, that's a chunk of rubber.
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #6 
I think what I'm going to do is use some rubber cement to reattach the bit of rubber to the tire. Then use a bit more rubber cement in the area where it sits on the bead.
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #7 
SB1G.jpg 
ORION

Reply with quote  #8 
TireBig.jpg 
ORION

Reply with quote  #9 
If you put this in all of your ATV tires, you will never have a flat again. If you do manage to get a flat tire, you will hear about it in the hospital.
dirtyworks

Reply with quote  #10 
Update 2: It seems to have worked. I krazy glued the piece of rubber on (rubber cement didn't cure fast enough to hold it on). Then I applied a few coats of rubber cement on the entire area. I also put a bit of rubber cement on the area it would contact when mounted. Went for a 2-3 hour ride this evening and it doesn't seem to have lost any air.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #11 
Ok, but how'd that guitar pick get stuck in there??  lol!!!! 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.