Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Scott23

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
First oil change an oil cooler install on my new to me 2010 outlaw 525s
Upon trying to remove the short oil screen, I found it was way too tight and the t-55 head stripped out. Long story short, I got the screen out along with a hand full of aluminum shavings which I discovered were my threads. Hence the over tightened bolt was loctited in.
I’ve looked into using a time sert, anyone else had to do this? Or have better advice?
Thanks
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
That suks, but its more common on our KTM engines that you might think.
I believe timesert is what most use.  Hopefully some of the other members will chime in. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Scott23

Reply with quote  #3 
Ok, glad I’m not the only one!
Thanks
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
I had a friend that had the same thing happen to.  My personal theory is this:  it seems like every drain / filter bolt goes in at a slight angle to the case and instinctively we as mere mortals try to put them back in at a 90 degree angle to the casing instead of the correct angle that the Austrians designed.  Now this is were I separate the smarter people from the, well, lets say "More determined people".... the smarter people usually feel that its not going in easy and remove it... but the "More determined people" think "screw it im tired of messing with this I'll just force it in".   That method sometimes works one time, then the next time they use locktite or something and sell the bike. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.