Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Outlaw525sktm

Reply with quote  #1 

New to the site and to Polaris/ktm. I have an 08 outlaw 525s not irs and I’m having an electrical issue. When I hook it up to a car with jumpers after cranking for a min it will turn over but when you stop it she don’t have the power to restart and the battery was reading like 12.2 v. This morning I went to start it and even with enough juice my neutral light didn’t come on when it should have had enough power to atleast dimly light it up. Any one know any common problems with these bikes.where are all the grounds on here?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the site!
  Of course I have to start with asking if your battery is any good.  If you let one sit in the cold weather for very long without charging it, it'll turn to the dark side.  lol  

After that check all your ceoonections to see it they are clean and tight.

You can test the overall charging system pretty quick if you have a voltmeter.  Get it started (jump it or whatever) then put your volt meter on the battery terminals (my IRS has a connector block on the right side of the frame that makes a good place to connect to for the positive lead then connect to a good ground).  With it idling it should show over 13volts and if you get the RPMs up over about 3000, you should show between 14.2v and 15v.  If its over that (15v) replace your regulator, if its under that it could be the regulator or the stator. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Outlaw525sktm

Reply with quote  #3 
I figured because it showed 12 shortly after the jump it was good. It’s hard to spend 100 on a test with a new battery. Which is why I wanted to know if there were any common problems I’ll check my voltage when I get home and see if it held a charge
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw525sktm
I figured because it showed 12 shortly after the jump it was good. It’s hard to spend 100 on a test with a new battery. Which is why I wanted to know if there were any common problems I’ll check my voltage when I get home and see if it held a charge

I don't know of any known electrical weak points on the outlaw 525, but from experience in the 9 years or so that Ive had mine, Ive been through 2 or 3 starters (one failure might be in part due to a failing one way sprag), 1 regulator (it still charged but was letting too much voltage through and blew out those wonderful $25 Polaris headlights), and four or five batteries (two cheap batteries (Mighty Max Gel) shorted out internally from bouncing around on the trails, the rest from not fully charging them when they sat over the winter).  I replaced a solenoid because I had the plastics off and it was easy to reach. 

So I'd say statistically, the batteries are my outlaw's electrical known weak point... and most of them were due to my own negligence of letting them set in the cold with a low charge... and cheapness on buying replacement crappy replacement batteries.    lol

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Outlaw525sktm

Reply with quote  #5 
I went through and cleaned all the grounds and she fired up and held a charge changed out the fuel and now she runs much better. Thank you everyone
ko66

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider

I don't know of any known electrical weak points on the outlaw 525, but from experience in the 9 years or so that Ive had mine, Ive been through 2 or 3 starters (one failure might be in part due to a failing one way sprag), 1 regulator (it still charged but was letting too much voltage through and blew out those wonderful $25 Polaris headlights), and four or five batteries (two cheap batteries (Mighty Max Gel) shorted out internally from bouncing around on the trails, the rest from not fully charging them when they sat over the winter).  I replaced a solenoid because I had the plastics off and it was easy to reach. 

So I'd say statistically, the batteries are my outlaw's electrical known weak point... and most of them were due to my own negligence of letting them set in the cold with a low charge... and cheapness on buying replacement crappy replacement batteries.    lol

I agree
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.