Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Mi-Outlaw

Reply with quote  #1 
first off great quad had it since i was about 9 yrs old never done anything but add oil and gas... took it to the trails near mio mi and it rained so trails were muddy i was on my outlaw which handled great my GF rode trail boss which did well but i want to change rear tires to somthing more aggressive its on stock dunlops which suck... but i think she needs some more low end grunt to turn them mud tires and get it up the hills.  what can i do to increase that low end grunt?  clutch kit? change axle sprocket im gona keep tire down to close to stock size something like 23x10 or 22x11 GBC Gators,  which would be better for trail riding thanks for input guys also which is most cost effective way i dont wana drop bunch of money in a old trail boss.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Id guess the cheapest and easiest thing would be a smaller front sprocket.  The clutch is probably a better solution, but is allot more expensive and time consuming.  I think theres some pipes out there that can pump up the midrange some too. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Call Rick Ritter and get a spring kit for your clutches. Huge improvement. I did this to my trailblazer.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Mi-Outlaw

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok how much Is spring kit and what will it do? It makes clutch engaugment stiffer right so it doesnt slip as much making it snappy and puts more power to ground? Will it help me with pulling too? I do use it as intended around cabin for hauling firewood and pulling deers from hunting... woulding I need bigger sproket to lower gear ratio?
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I spent around 60.00 for a new primary and secondary spring.  It will raise the engagement RPM to give you more power.  You may loose some top end but it worked great for where I ride since it is all hills.  The only down side is that most of the times I need to use the override button in reverse to get it to go backwards.  No special tools were needed to install the springs and I bet it would work great for you as well.

If you call Rick and tell him what you need he will give you only what you need and will not try to sell you anything you do not need or want.  He is a great guy.

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
You could just try changing the sprocket first and see if you like it, if not I was really happy with the spring upgrades and stock gearing.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Mi-Outlaw

Reply with quote  #7 
Yea ok thats what I thought too I went his website and hes like a specialty guy with those and scrammys which makes me feel like damn he knows what hes doin im thinkin I should probly change belt too while im in there... and I already have to use override to back up it actually barley will idle in reverse and if any throttle is given stalls unless u hold button... what kind of sprocket should I do in front I have no clue whts there now. And am I correct I need one with one more tooth (bigger) not less (smaller)?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Smaller should give you better acceleration, larger should give you more top speed (if you have enough power). 

08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
For more power you will need to go with a sprocket that is one tooth less.   If you decide to do the springs in the clutches I would also recommend buying new buttons and belt to install while you have everything apart.  They (the buttons) are pretty worn on most older machines and this will help with the engagement as well.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Mi-Outlaw

Reply with quote  #10 
ok i had it backwards thanks for clearing that up TX and 08IRS,  i think ill try sprocket first cuz thats cheap and easier if that isnt enough then i will get some springs and replace belt and buttons as preventive maintence.  thanks for all the help
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Awesome, let us know how it turns out.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #12 
Good luck.  Changing up the sprockets is a cheap and easy way to adjust for your riding style.  Keep us posted.

One more thing... check the teeth on your old sprockets (and the rear) and make sure they look good.  If they are ground down, or bent over, then its a good sign your chain is stretched and you'll eat up your new sprocket pretty fast. 

Dunph

Reply with quote  #13 
these guys got you goin. give rick  a call. couldn't hurt. also, ideally drive should be changed in 3s. its a lot of money i know, but if the chain or other sprocket even shows a little wear, the knew peice wont last a few months of pulling. like 89trx, i mean 08irs said, clutching will really change how it performs.
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
tonycard

Reply with quote  #14 
hey can someone please tell me how to remove a fuel tank from an 86 trail boss 250
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #15 
Its been a while, but if memory serves there are two bolts on either side of the headlight, and two up front to remove that hood. Then you pull the seat and remove the rear tank brackets. Disconnect the fuel line, and the breather. Maybe a few other bolts here or there, but it comes off pretty easily. 
Matthew.brunell

Reply with quote  #16 
Ok so I have a question I purchased an 86 trailboss 250 and I am about to replace the starter on it I have the clutch puller but before I go ahead and remove the clutch and replace the starter I wanted to know if there is any specific way or is there any tool that I'm going to need once I go to put the clutch back onto my four wheeler
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #17 
Once you have a clutch puller there is really no special tools needed. it is tough to torque the bolts down on the primary clutch without an impact but if you are careful you can hold the clutch by hand or with a stick. the secondary clutch the bolt is so small you don't really want to use an impact I just go PFT pretty freakin tight on both.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.