Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #1 
Finally picked up the 08 Yamaha YFZ450 that I bought this morning.  I was going to race it today too when I got home but it was raining and I didn't want to tear anything up (hate mud races).  I ended up beginning to personalize the machine and took it for a quick spin (again, it was raining).

I'll start with the engine.  This machine has a ported head and a 5 angle valve job from CT Racing.  It also has a 12.5:1 piston.  Other than that, it's stock internally.  It has a Pro Design intake with a foam filter and a K&N lid and an HMF Sport exhaust.  From my quick ride, the machine makes decent power, but it's nowhere near KTM territory.  I think I may like it better because it won't wear me out nearly as bad as the KTM does because the power hits so hard.  Who knows, I may hate it when I actually race with it. We'll see.

The ride seems decent so far with the re-worked stock shocks.  Didn't get enough time on it to tell for sure.

The ergonomics were a surprise to me.  I actually like this machine quite a bit.  It is much more comfortable to sit and stand on the YFZ than it is on the KTM.  The YFZ has a Quad Tech hump seat and a Houser stem with Pro Taper bars and a Precision clamp.  I'm not sure how tall the stem is over stock, but I'm leaving it.  Looking forward to getting more time on it and see how it feels in the woods.

Brakes are excellent as well.  They're close to KTM brakes and that's saying a lot.  They require a little more input at the master cylinder, but they are very progressive and firm.  The KTM is almost too grabby at times.

Some things that I'm wanting to change yet include the exhaust (too loud), add nerf bars, 4:1 front rims, possibly narrower rear end, and many other odds and ends.  

Here's some pictures of when I got it to where it sits now.  I'm leaving a lot out, so feel free to ask any questions.

Nick

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8520_1_1.JPG, Views: 79, Size: 188.52 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8517_2_1.JPG, Views: 98, Size: 190.32 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8525_3_1.JPG, Views: 66, Size: 164.41 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8527_4_1.JPG, Views: 59, Size: 167.93 KB 

outy027

Reply with quote  #2 
ahhhhh shoot! you got the inner mud plugs! lucky dog! and why would you take off those graphics =(.... unless they had the dudes name on them?

2015 season. 2010 mx/xc collab build in the works. 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
VERY NICE MACHINE. THE ORANGE AND GREEN ACCENTS ARE A LITTLE STRANGE TO ME AND THE BLINGSTAR BUMPER IS NOT MY FAVORITE BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A VERY GOOD LOOKING MACHINE AND SEEMS TO BE WELL BUILT. I AM SURE YOU WILL LIKE IT A LOT. A STOCK YFZ LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED BUT A WELL MODDED ONE I AM SURE WILL IMPRESS YOU IN THE WOODS.

I KNOW THAT THE CAM MOD MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN POWER DELIVERY. THAT MAY BE SOMETHING YOU MESS WITH AT SOME POINT IF IT IS A KEEPER.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
qzillanut

Reply with quote  #4 
If you think you want to keep the bike, and don't mind to spend a little on it to pick up some power, I would suggest an FCI intake and a DASA exhaust. DASA has a quiet version if that suits your style. Their not so quiet pipe is one of the strongest inframe pipes made for a YFZ.

The engine build is very similar to what is in my wife's old yfz. I just sold it to a buddy of mine, and he took it to little sahara with us this weekend. It has a 13.5:1 piston, port and polish by some local guy (not me, it was done before I bought the bike) stage 1 hotcams, FCI intake and Sparks reverse megaphone exhaust. I watched it beat 3 different KTM 525's, and my Outlaw (sighs)
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
The graphics had the guy's name on them and a lot of sponsors that I have no association with.  I like the graphics themselves, so I think I may contact that company and see if they can make me the same thing without all the sponsors and without the orange accents.  I'm going to stick with white, black, blue, and green.

Kind of funny you say you don't like the bumper Leo...that's the first thing the wife said.

Thanks qzilla.  I may look into those after I get some more seat time.  Any other good exhaust options?

Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah DASA makes power but loud. How much less power does the quiet series make? I didn't realize they make an actual quiet series, cool.

I see the suspension was reworked by Jet Motorsports. Nick is a great guy and does good work. I was very happy with my TRX suspension.

Cool looking bike, I bet it'll handle great. Looking forward to hearing more.

'12 RZR XP 900 LE EPS (LOTS of Mods SOLD)

'15 RZR XP 1000 Highlifter Edition

Free Service Manuals: http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/20082009-ktm-450525-RFS-service-manuals-5802622
Fossil85

Wisconsin Redneck
Reply with quote  #7 
looks great!  Time to get rid of that beastly ktm.  LOL. 
qzillanut

Reply with quote  #8 
There are a half a dozen or so tip top performing exhausts for the yfz' s. Most of them are really loud though. RIS Designs (extremely loud), Monster, MMAD (these are made in limited runs, so they are not always available, but probably makes the most power of them all), JSR, Dasa. 

There are two versions of the DASA. The classic and the 99 db version. The classic also has an optional quiet core, that could be removed when you wanted full power. I'm not real sure how much difference there is in all the different variations off the top of my head. I would probably just call DASA and ask them.

Giving Geoff at MMAD a call would probably be time well spent also (619-562-6623). He is the man when it comes to building YFZ's, and can point you in the right direction on just about any aspect of making power in a YFZ. He has several different options for cams that he has custom ground to his specs. The warpspeed would probably be the set you would be most interested in. They are a drop in cam that have no loss of low end power, and more in the middle and top. http://www.ford-y-block.com/atvkits.htm That is his wedsite, it's not very fancy, and there isn't a great deal of information on there. Like mentioned before he builds pipes too, but they are more of a drag pipe, looking at it, it would have to be crazy loud. I've never actually heard one in person.

LE Nick

Reply with quote  #9 
You want it Roger?  haha

Holy crap!  That think hurts my ears looking at it!  I still need to get some serious seat time on this thing to see if I really need more power and then I'll go from there.

Reply with quote  #10 
Ok I've tried to post this twice and it just keeps reposting my last post for some reason. So we'll try again.

This is the RIS designs pipe. It's what I'm running on my blue yfz. It is crazy loud, but makes killer power. Before I ran this pipe I ran a Sparks reverse megaphone on it, and this was a noticable gain over the sparks, which is a good pipe. Totally not what you are looking for I'm sure, but it is a gorgeous pipe.

Honestly none of the quiet pipes are going to make power like either of these I posted pics of. Of the quiet pipes though, I'm sure DASA is going to be the best.
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #11 
You call 99db quiet?  lol

I agree though, that pipe is a work of art.

Reply with quote  #12 
LOL.....well back in the day I was big into stereo competitions. I actually won a couple world championships, so yeah 99 dB is pretty quiet in my books.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
yeah no kidding after all those years of BOOMING you probably cannot hear your exhaust at all unless it is at least 120 decibels.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Nick, let me know what you think of those Precision bars, I have been thinking about a set of those for awhile now as an alternative to the Flexx bars due to price difference and the fact that I can keep my Cycra wrap arounds.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Deadman

Reply with quote  #15 
I don't think you need to be too worried about available pipes and mods for the YFZ because just about anything is available for them unlike the Outlaws! 

I'm curious to see how you like the low torque, hi rpm motor. My buddy Ken has a YFZ and he says it "feels really fast in comparison to his KTM, but the KTM actually crushes it".  I rode my Outlaw with him on his YFZ a few yrs ago, and I followed him thru some woods sections.......I stayed in 3rd gear and torqued out of the corners and he was down shifting all the way down into first gear in the corners!  lmfao!      I will say his cornered better for sure, but he was spinning so much i could follow him where ever he went by following the ruts! 

Hope it runs good for you, curious to hear your thoughts after some seat time!  Looks like a great quad!

Reply with quote  #16 
Will do with the Precision clamps.  I'm excited to get some good seat time with them as well.  You can have Cycra guards for the Flexx bars but you need the BRP mounts or the Cycra guards made for Flexx bars.  I have the BRP mounts on my KTM and I'll most likely be selling them soon because I'm putting the old orange guards from the YFZ on the KTM.

That's the one thing that's almost overwhealming with this quad...the parts that are out there.  I also have some concerns if you will with how little torque it seemed to have during my short ride.  I'm on the road again so I won't be able to ride it for at least a week or so.

I'm not saying that I bought a YFZ because it's a "better machine".  I just wanted to see how it stacked up against my KTM.  The only way to truly do that in my eyes is buy one and get some serious seat time with it.  Make the changes that you want to the machine and see where it ends up.

Reply with quote  #17 
I can see this for sale soon! 

Reply with quote  #18 
Got to go for a 15 minute ride on her last night.  Here are some big findings.

The seat is comfy and the rider position is very neutral.  It's easy to move around on it (so far).

The pegs vibrate to beat hell!  I haven't ridden the KTM in a while, but it seems much worse.  Maybe it's because the bars barely vibrate at all making it seem worse.

This thing has NO power!  It feels like stock Predator territory.  I'm really hoping it's due to a gummed up carb or a horribly adjusted carb.  It seems to not run right so I need to put my wideband on it to see where it's at.  It was dyno tuned by a quad shop so I figured they knew what they were doing.  I'll keep you guys updated on the findings here.

It does shift pretty awesome though.  Very smooth and easy to find neutral.

Brakes are still great.  If I had to live with them, there would be no complaints.

Rear shock needs work as it's way too soft.  Fronts seem to be alright.  Wondering why such an unbalanced setup because I can stand on the machine, jump up and down, and the rear end flops around way more than the front.  

That's all the glaring findings as of now.  More to come.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #19 
NICK JUST THROW ANOTHER 4 GRAND INTO THAT ENGINE AND IT WILL BE RIGHT ON THE HEELS OF THE KTM.

they can be great light and very fast machines, they will go fast easily with a lot less violence then the 525 engine. with that being said, the engine will take some more modding and a lot of tuning to be trading wins with the ktm they really lack torque also so you have to rev them to the moon to make power. i am really curious about your cams if they were in there doing head work and a piston, i wonder why they did not get a set of cams in there. the yfz will really benefit from them. even just the cam mod on the stock cams will pick up a few ponies.

anyway enough of my ranting i don't even have a 525 or a yfz, so i am living through you nick keep those reports coming.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
qzillanut

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Nick

This thing has NO power!

That is odd. I feel the same way about my outlaw. Both of my yfz's are considerably faster drag racing. I would check out cams and a cam timing. If it has stock cams that aren't in the mod position, that will help alot.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #21 
yeah it is the best thing since sliced bread. rotate the exhaust cam clockwise one tooth higher and gain 3 or 4 hp. i like free hp.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #22 
Yeah, I thought it was odd too.  I need to get it jetted correctly and check timing to see what I'm starting with.  I should clarify as well...it's not like something is obviously wrong.  It just seems flat throughout the rev range and can't pull the front end off the ground in third gear.  Also I tried to rev the thing to make more power and it kept climbing, but it never hit like I was expecting.  Need to do some digging.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Nick I am also curious to see what you think of the YFZ with the carburetor. I have been looking at YFZs and TRXs to possibly replace the Outlaw IRS.  The Outlaw 525s is also a possibility, but the value and PITA of the Polaris is just too much.  The one thing I am afraid I will miss is the 525 power  But I agree with you regarding the ergonomics of YFZs.  I have never hopped on one that didn't feel great.  They really designed the seat and position to that of a dirt bike. 

Reply with quote  #24 
Started tearing it apart last night.  Found the stock needle (non-adjustable), a 48 pilot, and a 180 main in the thing.  That could be the reason it feels like it has no power.  Stock is 155 with a 42 pilot I believe.  Gonna throw some jets in it for now and see if it runs enough to race today.  Stay tuned.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #25 
i am sure that kind of jetting is giving up some power. sounds like they tried to make up for the needle not being adjustable with a extra large main and pilot. i bet you, with the right needle on the 2nd or 3rd notch with a 170 main and anywhere from the 42 to 45 pilot you will be real close. we built a 2005 yz450f with a a ported head plus valves and a venom piston 13.5:1 and we never got to a 180 or a 48 pilot jet. i think it was like a 175 at the lowest elevation we ever rode. that bike flat out ripped. until it blew up. we had to build that engine 3 times in 2 years. first the trans then the top end then the bottom end. it was fun but too many blow ups for me. we also had a 2006 ktm 525 for those same 2 years it ran the whole time with little maintenance and never a single problem. when it sold it was still it top notch running condition. the yz450f got sold in parts. i am a much bigger fan of polaris 2 stroke offerings then their 4 strokes. i am really looking forward to your findings and reports. if their is anyone here who has owned more polaris sport quads than anyone here, it is you. i am very interested in the comparison once you get this yfz all dialed in.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #26 
Thanks Leo.  Here's the findings:

I didn't have enough time to put the wideband on the quad so I searched around the web and took a look at what guys were running with pipes and intakes.  I ended up putting a 42 pilot, 165 main, and the HRC needle in it.  HOLY COW!!!  Talk about waking up the beast!  It's amazing how much of a difference jetting can make.  Now it's comparable to the KTM in the power department.  The KTM has way more down low (obviously) but when you wind them up, I think the YFZ could pull on the KTM.  It wouldn't be much, but it feels super strong up top.  It may feel that strong because the difference from the bottom end to top end is so different, so I won't set anything in stone yet.

I also messed with the rear shock before the race started.  Gave it some more spring preload as the rear end was sitting too low with me on the machine.  Now it's closer to the proper ride height and the rear doesn't kick as bad on the big hits.

The race went alright for racing a brand new machine to me.  My struggle all day was the thumb throttle and bump steer while braking.  The throttle lever itself is an aftermarket billet piece and it's way too far away from the grip both towards the rear of the machine and towards the ground.  I'm looking for a stock thumb throttle now.  The bump steer was quite weird to me as well.  It seemed to want to dart all over the place when I was off the gas or on the brakes.  It may be because of too little caster or the steering stabilizer not doing its job.  I still need to check the settings on the Precision.  It also seemed to simply turn harder than I'm used to.  Just something I'll have to get used to.

I could also notice the lack of travel of the front shocks.  They are set up pretty stiff because there's not much to work with.  Compared to the KTM, the YFZ almost feels go-cartish.  It does benefit you because it tends to corner flatter.  

The seat is still comfy and the ergos didn't make me complain about anything.  The brakes stayed operational throughout the entire race even with three creek crossings.  Power was plentiful and it went where I pointed it almost all the time.  I really like the Razr/Razr2 tire combo.  I may also try to reverse the direction of the front tires to see if that helps with the twitchyness.  They are on "backwards" right now.

Oh, and I entered the B class because the wife wanted to race in C (her first race).  I have to move up to B next year so I figured what better time than now.  I ended up getting the holeshot on our starting line of B and +30.  It was short lived, but it made for some good pictures.  lol

Another thing to note is it's tough to get the carb out to clean it.  I had to remove the airbox, intake tube, side plastic, rear brake reservoir, throttle cable, fuel line, and the TPS wires.  It wasn't really a fact of doing these things, it was the fact of how difficult the things were to get at while on the machine.  Getting the throttle cable out was a PITA while inside the machine.  Long story short, it's very compact in that area.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #27 
sweet i am glad you got it running well and did so well on your first race with it. the little machines are tight to work on for sure but that is what makes them little in the woods. for your type of racing it might do the best job we will see. i look forward to your pictures. how did the wife do in her race? what did she ride? irs?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #28 
She didn't do too well.  She finished, but got last in the C class (I think there was 8).  She was on my KTM.  I was just glad she got out there to try one and ran it until the end.

I would like the YFZ to be about an inch or two narrower though.  Just need to swap the rims from the KTM and I should be good to go.  4+1 offset compared to 3+2 and 4+4 instead of 3+5.

Wisconsin Redneck
Reply with quote  #29 
For her first race, just finishing is great.  Did she enjoy it?  Or hate it? 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #30 
first off i think it is great that she raced. the fact that she finished is amazing her first time out. that is really cool. my wife would not race. she has no interest in a manual shift machine ever. she will drag race on auto clutched machines only, so congrats. that is a cool way to spend a sunday racing with your wife. hopefully she will get into it and then she will understand the insane need for more power and more machines.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #31 
She seemed disappointed that she got last because she's fairly competitive.  I told her before the race to simply have the goal of finishing the race and nothing else.  I don't think she realizes how important that is quite yet.  It was a very easy and fun course so it was a good one to start her out on.  I asked if she'd do it again and I got the never knowing "maybe".

One other thing I forgot to mention about the carb.  Wherever he sent it to have it "dyno tuned" is absolutely horrible.  Along with the jetting being way off, the air/fuel screw didn't have the washer and o-ring on the end.  It was one of those R&D flex jets (never buy one by the way) so it had to have been changed out by someone and they didn't put all the parts in it.  No wonder it ran like crap down low.  I since took that pile-o-crap out of there and put in a stocker.  Anyone want a seized up flex jet?

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #32 
yeah that is why i do not trust anyone's, "it was dyno tuned perfectly..." that makes me crazy when they ask why there machine is running like poo or slow and when you ask about the jetting they say it is dyno tuned so they know that is not the issue. well unless i personally see everything the person is doing while tuning a machine i never rule out incorrect jetting. most people, even professional mechanics have no idea what they are doing. sounds like you will have one superb running machine when you are done. it might have the best head work and porting known to man, but no one who rode it before would ever know. fuel and air ratio is fairly important to the internal combustion engine. you can be close and it will run ok, but unless everything is checked and double checked even the a/f meter may be lying to you if your fuel air screw is missing it's seal and the main jet is making up for a lean needle ect. some people will just never know.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Deadman

Reply with quote  #33 
Nick, Look at the bone-head that was running the Dyno at Janssens!  F'n idiot told u to play with the air screw because the A/F was lean at low rpm while he had the throttle pinned!  Yeah, that air screw will really help there you dumbazz. 

Reply with quote  #34 
nice lil write up nick! i think the yfz's are harder to turn in general. they have an awful turning radius and the steering will always be twitchy. my buddy has a yfzr, and though it is better than the standard yfz, it isn't going to compare to the ktm or a polaris. that bump steer is also worse on the standard yfz. i have never riden one equiped with a percision, so i am unsure if there is a remedy. i'm sure you will find one... they really do make a lot of power up top, but it def feels stronger because the lack of power down low. also, you have no idea how jealous i am that you got your wife to race... i can barely get mine to ride...
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #35 
Exactly guys..."dyno tuned" is basically meaningless now.  Too many things I've seen make it go down the drain.  Unless the engine builder is the dyno operator, then it holds a little bit of credibility....sometimes.  haha

This YFZ actually turns a bit tighter than the KTM.  It's got the Houser steering flag which increases the turning angle quite a bit over stock.  It's one of those mods I would have done if I bought a stock YFZ and another reason this one was a great deal for me.

Right now how the YFZ turns it's like the stem clamp is too tight and the stabilizer is turned down.  It's stiff until it hits something and then the bars go all over the place.  I'm going to investigate when I get the time and hopefully find something simple.

I also ordered a stock thumb throttle lever so we'll see how that feels.  Just got the stock radiator hoses and inline temperature gauge today.  If I get some of this stuff figured out, I may race it again this weekend at the Moose Run.  If not, the KTM is a solid fall-back.

Reply with quote  #36 
Here are some pictures.  Please go to the photographer's website to see the rest.

http://www.photobyjohn.com/photo_10.htm#20121021

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: Ryan1.jpg, Views: 40, Size: 118.65 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Ryan4.jpg, Views: 43, Size: 107.04 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Ryan6.jpg, Views: 41, Size: 122.29 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Ryan8.jpg, Views: 38, Size: 119.68 KB 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #37 
your wife is awesome.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOGM5150
your wife is awesome.

Gotta agree with that. 

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Deadman

Reply with quote  #39 
The best part is that SHE holds up the image of Redneck Farmer Dude's Wife!  lol  Jeans, but I'm disappointed not seeing any carharts......lol 

Reply with quote  #40 
haha  That's right!  We were the only two fools there with jeans on.

Reply with quote  #41 
Glad to hear you got the "no power" issue lined out a little. That bike "shouldn't" quite run with my wife's old yfz, but it "shouldn't" be in the no power category either. Crower made some cams, that were discontinued I believe, that some of the mx/woods racer guys liked. They made less power on top, but gave the bike more low end power. Naturally they weren't a huge success since most guys aren't going to buy cams that make less peak horsepower than the stockers, but like mentioned depending on the application, some guys really liked them. I see a used set for sale every now and then. Just something to keep in mind for future reference.
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #42 
One more picture of the racing wheelers.  Just washed them up.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8530_1_1.JPG, Views: 50, Size: 171.41 KB 

08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #43 
So what are your thoughts on the Precision clamps versus Flexx bars?

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
strubby

Reply with quote  #44 
Very cool Nick. Is it mainly the turning radius on the KTM that's making you want to try racing a new machine? The compact build of the YFZ reminds me of how the KFX is. It was even slimmer than a YFZ, like a dirt bike and awesome for the woods, but a b*tch to work on. Looking forward to more updates man!

BTW: That's really cool racing with the wife. I'm blessed with a g/f that loves to ride, fish, hunt, hang out in the garage, just whatever. It's a great feeling doing something you love and having your other half there with you being a part of it.

'12 RZR XP 900 LE EPS (LOTS of Mods SOLD)

'15 RZR XP 1000 Highlifter Edition

Free Service Manuals: http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/20082009-ktm-450525-RFS-service-manuals-5802622
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #45 
As for Precision vs Flexx, I'm not too sure yet.  One thing I can say is I didn't notice anything extreme one way or another.  In my opinion, that's a good thing.  If you don't notice something, it's doing it's job.  Personally, if they both do the same thing, I like the Precisions better because they are more compact and clean up the bars quite a bit.  I still need more ride time on it with a decent throttle lever and then I can tell you more.

That is one big reason strubby.  The KTM also likes to push in the really tight stuff.  I've got a few front end settings that I still need to try to remedy this and a possible rear tire swap, but other than that, I'm about out of ideas.  The YFZ didn't seem to push at all when I raced it but it could have been that the track wasn't tight enough.  It's also just one of those things that I've always wanted to try.  If I could afford it, I'd have one of every brand just to see for myself what I like and what I don't like.  This one happened to come at the right time, with the right person, and have the right stuff done to it.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #46 
THAT YFZ LOOKS PERFECT NOW. VERY COOL MACHINES AND GREAT WRITE UPS THANKS NICK.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #47 
Question for you guys...I'm going to be getting a set of House Pro Bounce nerfs for the YFZ.  Should I get them in black (free color) or get them in KFX green (+$45 and similar color to Hiper rings)???  I'm torn right now.  I think the green would look cool, but if I ever sold them, it would really limit who would be interested in them.  Also, everything else Houser on the machine (arms, stem, flag, grab bar) is black.  The black would also be $45 that stays in my pocket.  And if they get dinged, black is a pretty easy color to touch up.  Thoughts?

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Do they include heel pockets?  If not, keep them stock.  If they do I say black.  KFX Green might be a little loud if you know what I mean.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #49 
i say black for all the reasons you mentioned nick.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
outy027

Reply with quote  #50 
i say green cause lets be real.... bright is better...

2015 season. 2010 mx/xc collab build in the works. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.