Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Zsd1979

Reply with quote  #1 
Thought I had a bad battery cell. Would only hear solenoid click when trying to start. Brand new battery same results. Is this a starter issue,decompression prob,valve adjustment,relay,etc. About to pull starter and bench test. Thanks for any info! I'm new to the site and new to the Polaris Outlaw.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Ive personally been through  3 starters and 1 one way sprag.  I replaced the solenoid once simply because I was in there and didnt want to do it again later. 

Since youre sure its not the battery or connections...

If it was a rare broken decompressor, it'd still turn over but really slow (unless it bound up in something). 

I'd start by using a large wire or a jumper cable and try touching it directly to the starter lead and see if it turns it over ok.  if it does, then you know its not the starter and you'll want to check the connections and solenoid.   If it doesn't turn over, then get a new starter and youre all set. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Zsd1979

Reply with quote  #3 
I'll give it a go. Thanks for the input. Stay tuned for results...
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
No problem. 

If its the starter, when you remove it and you turn the starter with your fingers it will sometimes feel "crunchy".  I have pulled one of them apart and cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and then used penetrating oil to make everything move as it should, it worked ... but it still didn't work right. 

Also, if you buy a cheap $29 Ebay one (and I have no issue with them), double check the bolts are tight and grease the o-ring real good before you install it otherwise you can mess up the o-ring installing it. 

At least you can bump start it for now.  Ive got a Rekluse clutch so when my starter quits the party is over.  lol

Zsd1979

Reply with quote  #5 
Well, the starter is good. Can manually turn motor over by pushing in 5th gear. Then it seems to crank fine(still a little slow). Carb and valves both need adjusted. It makes a little noise every now and then spits sputtered then stalls. I'm thinking the auto decompression may have sheared off or broke causing the main issue not turning over during certain strokes and after sitting(cooled down).
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
You can pop the valve covers off and maybe see if the decompressor is broken.

And while youre there you can adjust your valves.  The KTMs need adjustment allot because the valves are made out of something like Jello and constantly get out of adjustment.  

Zsd1979

Reply with quote  #7 
Crank bearings are shot... What's the best bottom end kit to invest in. Keeping it stock. Bottom of piston skirt is a little worn so prob gonna do top end too. Any input is well appreciated. Where to buy from etc. Thanks!!!
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
The crank bearings on the RFS motors will take allot of abuse but the 525/540/560 especially in a quad (they are heavy and have more traction and rolling resistance) wont take prolonged high rpms.  The cranks "spread" and tear up the bearings.  There used to be some band aid bearing upgrades out there but the best solution is to keep the RPMS down and don't install an aftermarket CDI that has a higher rev limiter.

I'd talk to Distraction628 (on this forum) or Travis at Thumper Racing, or some other KTM RFS motor expert and see what they suggest.   I had a good 525 crank somewhere....

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Send the Crank to AZ crank works, or another good shop like CT racing. Have them rebuild your crank with it welded. 

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #10 
When you do the top end, put a good piston in it, vertex, wossner, cp. I would go to 12.5 to one and find a 8/33 or 8/06 camshaft. Please stay away from some engine builders. I won't mention there name...to many horror stories.   If you want to just send the motor off to be redone. I would say CT is your best bet.  I don't work on other peoples stuff anymore. I don't have the room anymore.  Like

Reply with quote  #11 
Great advise guys. She's back together and purring like a kitten. I got lucky and had a friend do all the work. Went with the Wossner piston and all parts new from eBay. Only $1200 invested. Valves looked good so didn't replace them. Anybody want a good crank to rebuild...
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Awesome!!!! Good choice on wossner. I used them all the time.

Reply with quote  #13 
That's great!
  You are really lucky on the valves, the stock ones are pretty soft and wear out pretty quick. 

Outlaw525sktm

Reply with quote  #14 
New to the site and to Polaris/ktm. I have an 08 outlaw 525s not irs and I’m having an electrical issue. When I hook it up to a car with jumpers after cranking for a min it will turn over but when you stop it she don’t have the power to restart and the battery was reading like 12.2 v. This morning I went to start it and even with enough juice my neutral light didn’t come on when it should have had enough power to atleast dimly light it up. Any one know any common problems with these bikes.
Zsd1979

Reply with quote  #15 
Make sure you have a good battery 1st of all. Could be that easy of a fix. Then I would prob try checking all your grounds and make sure they look clean and are tight. Good luck!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.