Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
jfizz

Reply with quote  #1 
I recently got a 2006 that was never ridden, and i am looking for some modification ideas on exhaust and intake. Do you leave the filter box on and install the uni stage two directly to the carb?
Brandon13buckley

Reply with quote  #2 
Get a slip on exhaust stock headers give out lots of power and get a clamp on k&n airfilter will give you quite a bit extra power and you will need to change the main jet too.
pimpedpredators

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #3 
You can get some decent power gains by doing the following:

1. Replace stock filter with a stock UNI- mild, 155-160 main jet

2.Replace stock filter and intake tubes with either a 6" tube w/ bend = more torque or a 12" tube w/ bend = top end HP and a 6" UNI w/ Outerwear. You can either get a aluminum tube with 20 deg. bend or get a filter with the bend in the flange.You will have to adapt sizes to carb. I have done it all different ways, I settled on a 2 1/4"- 2 1/2" silicone adapter, 2 1/2" pipe w/ 20 deg. bend, 2 1/2" inlet x 6" long UNI filter w/ Outer. mild, - 160 main jet

3. Replace exhaust with a QUALITY slip-on. I personally think there is no other pipe for this quad, except an HMF. I have a Pure Polaris on one of mine, HMF full system on my BB558. The HMF makes more power, hands down. I got the header for mine for purely looks, it is a copy of the stock header, but is S.S and has a removable flange w/ springs, looks much better than perma-rust stocker!! Dont try to save $30 on this purchase and buy something a little cheaper. HMF has years of documented exhaust testing on the Predator, specifically. You can go to web site and access this info. It gives jetting,air cleaner, etc.. recommendations based on test results, not opinions!! They have specific jetting kits for various stages of mods, also. A little wilder 165 main jet for a pipe and filter mod. together, 3 screws out on A/F screw.

4. Replace carb with one that works! I recommend a 04'-05' Keihin 42 mm "pumper" with HRC jetting kit. If I had it all to do over again, I would have made this my first up-grade! I have these on both of my Preddy's, and cant impress enough how much better these carbs are than the stock Mikuni's. It costs about $300 to get the carb, rebuild kit, intake,jet kit, cables, filter w/Outer, petcock, hoses, fuel filter etc..   worth EVERY penny!! My BB558 will smoke ANY Predator that has its original Mikuni, regardless of the mods done to it. Its the real week spot in an otherwise awesome motor! Jetting is not an issue, if you buy the HRC kit, this carb is much more adjustable than the stocker.

Now, a few things NOT to buy for your Preddy:

1. K&N filters- good for automotive, NOT powersports. Foam filters keep your carb cleaner. I like UNI, but any foam filter is better. Pre-filter is mandatory for ANY filter, it will save you money and time, in several different ways!!

2. "Rev-boxes"- There are only 2 acceptable CDI up-grade companies, Vortex & Dyna, and they are $300+ and require alot of knowledge to set-up correctly. These are for full race engines ONLY. Besides, even though I have one, It doesnt give me any more HP, I just get to stay a little longer on the throttle before it starts popping!! I saw dyno results that showed NO power gains in all 4 modes. Stay stock on this one!! They will also ruin your starter clutch and put unnecessary strain on starting components.

3. Cheap, non-synthetic, fluids- Just have to suck it up on this one! Use 4-stroke , not automotive,diesel, etc.. Some people say they use various automotive oils in their bikes with no problems, well, just because it didnt "seize up on them" doesnt mean that it isnt causing premature wear and tear on their rotating assemblies, clutch components, trans. etc.. the only way you could find out if an oil is good or not is to run it in 2 identical bikes for a couple of years, then tear both down and examine the wear. These motors are expensive to repair, Im not willing to trust my investment to some "automotive type" oil from a big oil company. I have saved alot of $ by buying re-usable oil filters for all of my quads, I have 6 quads, so its not a decision I made lightly! I like the Polaris p-5 extreme, Mobile 1 4stroke, Lucas, Honda lubes,Amsoil. I have pretty much settled on the Mobil 1, personally, due to the easy accessability, about $10 qt. Same goes for brake fluids. I also run "Engine Ice" for coolant, no tap water.

There it is, I have 3 Predators, I have done and bought alot of needless shit to these over the years, please take my advice, I was at the same point as you are 3 different times. If I had it to do over again, I would leave the bike stock except for the carb/filter/intake/bars/"A" arms. I have taken a lot of pics of my projects as well, if you need to see anything. If I had $1000 to spend on a stock Predator it would be:$300 carb/intake upgrade, HMF slip-on $200-$300, Fat bars,grips,twist,mounts $200-?,FF 6-point adjustable +2 "A" arms $300-? Hope this helps!!

03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
jfizz

Reply with quote  #4 
I really appreciate all the helpful advice! I actually already ordered a yoshimura rs3 full exhaust with a dyno jet kit. I agree with leaving everything else stock though. I will look into changing the carb here shortly if this one acts up. So far it has great power except from 4th to 5th gear.
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #5 
Do you want to go even faster?? That carb upgrade will make more difference than the pipe n jet. The best part is that the performance is across the board, low-mid-high-starting, everywhere! Another good thing is that you can put it together as money allows, the biggest expense is the carb, but I got both of mine for less than $100!Just start watching ebay and watch for auctions, not "buy it now" you want one from an individual private party, not an ebay store. Then get the petcock,filter,jet kit,rebuild kit,hose,cable, etc..as money allows. Have the carb clean and rebuilt with proper jetting and all the parts and it will only take an hour or so to do the install. I had no idea just how crappy the stock carb was until I tried this!! I pull the wheels off the ground at will,now!! It even sounds nastier!Not that it matters, but there is a new red HMF slip-on, on ebay right now for $200!! Great deal!!Also a complete set of Full Flight "A" arms w/ hubs,discs,rods etc.. they are used, but they have a lifetime warranty for $250 also a GREAT deal!! Happy shredding!!
03' Predator HPD 558,full HMF, Kibblewhite valvetrain,full port/polish,Dyna FS ,Keihin FCR  w/MP twist,Barnett clutch & billet basket,Trail Tech billet dash,billet Torch lights, H&H 1 1/8" bars,TrailTech"Voyager"GPS, Acerbis gaurds, Full Flight +2 "A" arms,HPD +2 anti.vibe stem and dual stabilizers, custom billet tie rods&heims,frt. roller upgrade,Pro Armor case saver,AC Racing nerfs w/IMS ROLL pegs& shifter, Ballistic battery, +3" swinger,Lonestar +4" axle,Tusk Pro heels, full DG skids,Pro Aluminum grab,Blingstar bumper,UM alum.oil tank,custom radiator,Streamline rotors, AMR Graffix, gussett kit,Race Tech triple rate springs,full custom Fox Podiums w/added front res., ITP SS wheels w/ ITP Sand/Dune Stars for sand, ITP Pro Baja, w/ ITP Holeshot HD's for dirt, 03' Predator 500 (daughters) PP pipe, TRXr carb,PD intake,UNI ,no box,Jardine nerfs,Tusk heels,AC bumper,Trail Tech: fat bars,dash,Vapor,Torches, Razrs on black G-Force for dirt,AMS on red Douglas for sand
gmb357

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi evr1, just got my 06 preddy flying high its a street setup with hoosiers and much wider about 56" frnt an 53 rear, as far as my engine its screamin sweet with a uni clamp on air filter, a 165 main here below 500' and a big gun slipon its all a dream i too use mobil 1 clutch is perfect. Took all decals off its just all white with a seat like a mini gocart style it hugs my hips im in there like a crotch rocket.
About wailing for engine ice ,i just ran on my streets about 30mins i like it it does whatever i want it to as far as sliding out of a turn or sticking it ah i love it
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
very cool man i am glad you are loving it!

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
gmb357

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Leo i'm once again, now that its mostly dialed in, loving my preddy powerhouse!
Can i ask i may buy an in line water temp guage and a finned cooler, do you know if they are accurate or actually effective in cooling since they are so  small idk, thanks bud
ps;is engine ice to be used all by itself as if it was already a 50/50 mixture as it comes?
gmb357

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
and are our radiator hoses 3/4" or 7/8??
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
i like those inline coolers how much they help i have no idea. the inline temp gauges work really well. yes engine ice is ready to use out of the bottle you are not supposed to mix it with water or any other coolant.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
they are 3/4" not 7/8"

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #12 
I have silicone hoses,finned coolers, one on each , I run Engine Ice. I dont have a guage, but my Preddy's cooling fan consistently shuts off 2-5 minutes sooner than the Outlaw's stock set-up w/o Ice,does after similiar riding. I would really like to have a guage, so I could know how much better it cools,than a stock set-up w/anti-freeze. 
gmb357

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Now at high rpm when i go from wide open to closed at speed it pops and sounds like hell#$%^
Anybody know this problem before/?? its stock except the slipon uni, exhaust and 165 main jet thanks
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #14 
Either a real bad exhaust leak or you are lean on your needle clip and a/f screw. Put the clip on the needle on the 4th notch down from the blunt end of the needle and turn the a/f screw out to 3 1/2 turns.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
gmb357

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #15 
i mean when im giving it no gas and slowing down
Kmack

Reply with quote  #16 
Yep, just what Leo said.

BE POSITIVE - Because, if you think you CAN or if you think you CAN'T, you are right!

2009 Outlaw 525 S
2008 KTM 525
2004 KTM 525 EXC Dual Purpose Bike
1998 Yamaha 600 Grizzly - Elk Hauler
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #17 
You are lean, In my experience if you have to turn your mixture screw out any more than 2 1/2 turns you need to go up a jet, I bet it is running hot too? Get a 175,180,185 main jets, start with the 175 & 2 1/2 turns out. Take it out and run it at WOT, keep going up jet sizes until you arent getting any more power out of the up-jetting. You shouldn't hear any more Pop! on decel either. I have FCR's on mine now, but I got those Mikuni' s going best with a 185-190 & 2 1/2 turns out, & 4th clip. Stock 03' 500 w/ PP pipe,no air box,UNI w/Outerwear, 2 1/2"x6" intake, Dyna F/S CDI. If all else fails LOOK AT THE SPARK PLUG! Yes, I know its a bitch to get to, but it is the only way to know for sure whats going on in your motor!    
pimpedpredators

Reply with quote  #18 
I also recommend LEO's carb mods, there is a thread in "How To's". They are easy to do , and will boost your carb knowledge and confidence in messing with that pesky Mikuni CV.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.