Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #1 
1st off I bought it in '08 it had a few mods done engine wise already which are t-4 pro circuit exhaust and k&n cone air filter. I bought it from a dealership who took it on a trade so they couldn't rly tell me much about it. I bought on a day it was rly warm like +60 the next day it was in the 40's and it wouldn't start in figuring out y i found out y it was so cheap as gas was blowing back outta the carb so i knew or at least figured valves were bent. I put replacing them off for way too long because as long as it was warm i had no issues. In '10 it developed another problem where it was like it was hitting rev limitor at any more than half throttle again being dumb just kept riding assuming the valves were just so bad it didn't wanna go then it got to where it wouldn't even get the front wheels up anymore so parked it until 2 summers ago and then i took the top end apart and put in new valves fairly certain that was my problem as 2 valves where not closing at all 1 was only closing about half and the other a quarter of the way. Put it all back together and now it starts fine in 80° or 8° but still won't rev past like a quarter throttle or it starts stuttering like its hitting rev limitor it sems like everyone I've talked to tells me its something else such as jetting which i have no idea what it is but i didn't have this problem when i got it so i don't believe that's it. I miss my old preddy and its starting to warm up again and id like to know how wide open feels again lol any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated thanks in advance
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
If it was a hard start when cold but once started it ran it was likely just in need of a 15 minute valve shim adjustment. The not revving past half throttle could be a number of things. First guess is jetting. I would guess it was lean and never jetted for the mods correctly. Try a 175 main jet 4th down from the top or blunt end of the needle and 3 turns out on the a/f screw. If that does not fix it check the timing and the flywheel woodruff key. If that is all right on maybe your CDI is shot.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #3 
Ok thanks my 1st thought was cdi because the day it started not revving i had accidentally hit rev limitor at the top of 2nd gear then when i shifted to 3rd and pegged it ,because me and a friend were drag racing, that's when it started not revving out anymore but for the 1st half of the day before that it was fine but thank you for your input. Idk much about carbs i know how they work but when it comes to adjustments I'm lost is there anyway by looking at the jet would it have the size stamped on it like valve shims do?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
yup has the size stamped right in it. if it is a 165 it will say 165 ect.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #5 
Ok thank you

dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok main jet is 170 and its all the way in so do i still need to go 175?
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
i don't know. the only way to know is to change and test. if you want to try the main first go for it. i would try 4th or 5th notch on the needle first. check the fuel air screw on the bottom of the carb and see if it is at 3 turns out also.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #8 
Ok i just drilled out the cap so i can get to the screw right? I'm assuming that's the 1 i haven't actually adjusted on it yet wanted to make sure 1st and u say 3 turns out so do i tighten it all the way in then count as i back it out? And again thank you ur the 1st person in 4 years that's actually got me going in the right direction
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #9 
And u also said try 4th or 5th notch on the needle, sry i ask so many questions but how do i adjust that? Because I'm not quiet sure what u mean
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #10 
yes the little brass plug in the bottom of the carb. also yes go in lightly to full in, then turn out. make sure you drill the right brass plug. there is another brass looking plug int he same area but i think it is under the bowl. refer to the diagram below.

to get the needle out, you take out the 2 screws in the top of the carb. then pull out the 3 to 4 inch spring. then pull out the whole carb slide and rubber diaphram. the needle will sit inside that. over a clean area. reach inside the slide with a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull up on the little white tab. it will pluck out, it goes in just lightly snug with an o-ring around it. (when you put it back in, be gentle those little prongs it sets in are easy to break) under that will be a small spring less than an inch. then push needle up and out with your fingers. there is a stack of washers in there. a thin washer above, then the clip on the needle and a thick washer and a thin washer under the clip. they must stack back in there just like that. just the clip moves up or down in the notches pulling the needle up and allowing more fuel or pushing it down allowing less fuel.

these are from a post in the predator how to (same carb as the outlaw 500)

[Carb20picture]

[Image]

[Carb20graph]

I LIVE AT 4,000' ABOVE SEA LEVEL

JETTING STARTING POINT FOR ANY PREDATOR OR OUTLAW WITH THE FUJI 500 ENGINE, WITH A AFTERMARKET PIPE AND FILTER NOT IN THE STOCK AIRBOX. 165 to 170 MAIN JET, 3rd to 4TH NOTCH DOWN FROM THE TOP OR BLUNT END OF THE NEEDLE AND 3 TURNS OUT ON THE AIR/FUEL SCREW, THE STOCK PILOT JET IS ENOUGH UNLESS YOU CANNOT ACHEIVE A GOOD EVEN IDLE AT 3 1/2 TURNS OR LESS WITH THE A/F SCREW. THIS WILL WORK WITH DYNO OR MIKUNI JETS. I RECOMEND DYNOJET JETS AND NEEDLES, I FOUND THEM TO MAKE BETTER POWER IN THE MIDRANGE.

THESE SETTINGS ARE ON THE RICH SIDE YOU WILL NEED TO LEAN OUT YOUR JETTING ACCORDING TO YOUR ENGINES FUEL AIR NEEDS, ALTITUDE, TEMPERATURE, HUMIDITY, MODIFICATIONS. AGAIN THIS IS A STARTING POINT TO GET YOU ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Xero

Reply with quote  #11 
The not revving properly and hitting a premature limiter could be as simple as needing a new battery!! When I had my old pred I took it out one day and it wouldn't rev properly and when I road it would hit the limiter early and die off.. new battery and it ran as sweet as ever... few $$$ gotta be worth a shot!? 

05 Predator 500 Troy lee, Street legal! Powder coated in Flourescent Orange and Ultramarine blue with metal flake, PurePolaris pipe, Stage6 foam filter, K&N PreFilter & Jetted to suit, ProArmour Nerfs, TrailTech Fatbars and clamp, PRM 6pack grab bar, Rear wheel spacers, ITP alloy wheels, Speedracer supermoto tyres, DWT alloys, maxxis razr 2s, On Order:Full Flight +2 a arms
Also own: Can-Am Renegade 800X, Apache RLX400supermoto both street legal! aswell as a Yamaha Blaster and an Apache 100cc All packed full with lots of goodies! :D

dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #12 
Ya that's what a friend of mine told me so i got a new battery... and it still did it and on the needle the clip was at the very end so i moved it down to the 4th notch but now i gotta wait a few days to get a new spring lol when that tab pulls outta there it rly does it all of a sudden huh oh well now i know. luckily that's all i lost was the spring
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #13 
sorry man i started to type do it over a clean area to watch for that spring and i kinda moved on.if the needle was at one extreme or the other that may be part of your problem but if it was perfect one minute and them bad the next it is likely the cdi or something electrical?

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #14 
Ya not ur fault lol i was getting in a hurry hoping to get it back together before it got dark here and ya that's what i figured but at the same time im kinda hoping if nothing else it'll run like a scalded dog once i do get it figured out if it wasn't setup properly before but ya I've been through it all checking the battery the grounds the fuel pump taken the bowl off the carb and cleaned it and sprayed carb cleaner through the jets numerous times but never actually adjusted or checked the adjustment on anything in there. Sometimes i lean toward a fueling problem because its rly aggrivating that it just gives me enough throttle to know the powers there it just won't go n if i stay on the throttle while its stuttering it eventually dies out and it takes it awhile to start like it ran out of fuel. so like i said if this isn't the problem then at least i eliminated 1 of the several possibilities plus i been curious about the jetting since i owned it
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #15 
maybe your vacuum fuel pump is faulty or clogged. try running just a gravity hose from the tank to the carb and see if it is better. just be sure to plug the vacuum port on the side of your head going to the fuel pump or it will suck in air and be terribly lean.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #16 
Ok finally got the carb back together and it feels stronger but still only gives me 1/4 throttle gonna try the gravity feed next again thank u for ur help and advice
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #17 
Just got a new dynatek cdi and still not revving past a quarter throttle I don't get it it worked great then at the top end it started missing and gradually just got down to a quarter throttle been declining since 2010 until about a year ago it went down to just a quarter throttle and seems to have leveled out there for now but with just that little bit of throttle i don't ride much I start it up n ride around my house every couple of weeks then when I park it I cut the fuel off and let run til it dies but I'd really like to go riding I'm just afraid since it seems to be getting worse and worse I'm gonna breakdown in the woods
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #18 
Are there any tears or holes in the carburetor diaphram?  Does it move up and down smoothly? 
Also, check for a broken valve spring... since it happened after you over-reved it racing.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #19 
Also, I don't know about the predator carb set up, but if its similar to the scramblers/sportsman, vacuum is really important.  You can't make a scrambler run over 1/4 throttle with the lid off on the stock carb.  Also spray some carb cleaner around the carb while its running and see if you have an intake leak somewhere. 

dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #20 
Yes it moves smoothly and no tears that I can see and I replaced the valves last year all springs were good and I just checked my spark plug and its really black so I think I'm running really rich but with it missing like that I'm not sure if thatd be my problem or at least part of it Leo kinda guided me on setting up the carb for my mods and he said that would be rich but it'd atleast get me n the ball park and im at less than 6000' so can anybody maybe get me closer but I was wondering could it be my coil and thanks everyone who has put input into this its really aggrivating me that I can't get it figured out
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #21 
Ya my lids off too but it has been since I bought it in 08 n it ran fine until 2010
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #22 
OK checked for vacuum leaks normal no revs
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #23 
Does it idle fine?

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #24 
It sounds like it kinda has a miss but it doesn't die it'll stay running. If u hit the throttle it revs quick like a predator should but only to about 1/4 throttle then its like its hitting rev limiter and if i stay on the throttle it'll just die but usually start right back up but if it starts doing it and I let off it goes back to idle just fine. Before I followed Leo's guide lines for the carb setup if it was idling and I just stabbed it it would die most of the time but now its right there every time
redpred

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #25 
Sure does sound like you could be out of time, with the missing, did you look at the Woodruff key?

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #26 
No I havent
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #27 
Also, since your plug was black, did you try a new one?  Hey, sometimes its the obvious things. 

dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #28 
Yes I put in a new 1 ran the same but when I saw it I thought oh there's my problem but nope
dstnlcky13

Reply with quote  #29 
I ordered a repair manual so I can check the not so easy stuff next I've been over and through everything that's simple fuel pump spark plug carb cdi but the reason I asked about the coil is because I noticed the tabs that stick up out of it r kinda rusty
Dunph

Reply with quote  #30 
SOUNDS LIKE ITS A TOOTH OFF. CHECK THE TIMING AND THE WOODRUFF
2016 2500hd
2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd Quadrasteer Yes i know my rear wheels are crooked! http://www.youtube.com/user/dustinwpearce
Commi-chusetts
Justanotherguywithaproble

Reply with quote  #31 
I know it's been 5 years but did the problem ever get fixed? dealing with the same thing
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.