Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
King Josk

Reply with quote  #1 
I was ridding down the street, wasn't getting on it to hard and all the sudden my predator starts backfiring and wont accelerate and will start to die if i give it to much throttle and the higher i get up in gear the less throttle i can give it. I can only get it up to about 35mph. Any ideas what is going on? I am thinking it is the gas pump and I am thinking about bypassing it and have gravity do the work. Is that a good idea? Is that even the problem? HELP, Thanks.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Usually if it wont take more than 5/8 throttle you've got a plugged main jet, but a bad fuel pump or torn carb diaphragm might cause it too. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
what he said also if the needle holder popped out and the needle is floating past 1/4 throttle. could be lean could be flooded. i would start and make sure you have fuel at the carb, then check to see if the slide, diaphragm and needle are in order.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
King Josk

Reply with quote  #4 
[po-9917576-033]
King Josk

Reply with quote  #5 
I checked the gas in the carb and there is plenty of gas and I just cleaned the jets out (wasnt anything in them for what i could see) one thing i did notice is that screw 30 on that diagram is leaking a little bit so i have just ordered a new one I checked the pin and diaphragm and they seem to be fine. Once i get that screw i am going to try to gravity feed the carb straight from the gas tank because when I am giving it full throttle their is no suction in the gas pump feeding to the carb.
ORION

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #6 
Don't guess! Bypassing your fuel pump is not the correct way to diagnose a problem. It may cause more problems, which would make solving the original problem even harder. And even if you solve the original problem, the new problem that YOU created will be hard to detect because it cant be the fuel supply, because you already "fixed" that. Think about this very carefully, and fix only what you know is wrong.

Do you know someone that has the same quad, and you can borrow their carb for a few minutes to see if it solves the problem? 
King Josk

Reply with quote  #7 
Okay i have found out that fuel is not the problem, it has plenty of fuel. The spark is good. The compression is at about 90psi is that a little low?
I called a repair shop near me and they think that it might be the valves and they just need to be adjusted. how do i adjust them? and is it hard? 
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Usually the valves being out of adjustment is a progressive problem that begins with the engine being difficult to start when its cold then gets worse over time.  That doesn't sound like your problem.  Take it out and run it with popping for a few seconds, then pull the clutch and kill the engine at the same time.  Pull the plug and see if its wet, or black, or white.  If its white and dry, its a fuel starvation problem.  If its wet or very dark, its getting too much fuel. 
  Two things I'd check first is being sure the airbox lid is on tight and sealed, and see if there is a spark arrestor screen in the muffler.  If there is, be sure its clean and not plugged. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
King Josk

Reply with quote  #9 
The cold start from my quad has not been good in the past 2 months or so and HAS been getting worse and worse and now since this has happened when I was ridding(the start of this thread) I have not been able to get it started. Sometimes it sounds like t wants to but just never fully turns over. We took it apart and the air intake valve does not look good.
King Josk

Reply with quote  #10 
Once we get it up and running I will take a look at what this thread was about if it still needs fixing 
Milje2010

Reply with quote  #11 
Bypassing the fuel pump has worked for many people... I know a guy who recommends it actually... Those fuel pumps just crap out over time and why not just avoid the issue?

Did you ever tear the head apart? Adjusting valve clearance is super easy... All you need are feeler gauges and shims. There's plenty of threads all over this site that explain it in great detail.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Did a valve adjustment fix this issue? 
King Josk

Reply with quote  #13 
ITS RUNNING....

alright. The timing chain was to stretched. we would get it running and turn it off the timing would change and over time it bent the exhaust valves. We put all new valves in and a new chain and the predator is as good as new and faster than ever[wink].. 

During this time we installed 
New
-oil filter 
-timing chain
-all the valves 
-spark plug
-carb jets 
-air intake 
-gas valves 
-gaskets 
-bearings in both front wheels
-wheel hub for front wheels 
-lights

im selling it at the end of the summer for 2000 and already have had 3 people say they want it. Thanks for all the help everyone and if i ever need anything else I will post another topic. 

Thank you all

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.