Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #51 
Yup, what Leo said...you're super rich to start with and I'd check into the silicone.  Stock pilot is a 45 and you should be good to stick with that.

Reply with quote  #52 
i had a diaphram that was cracked but could not see it just by looking at it. Once i took it out and i folded the rubber abit then could see it was rotted/cracked and wore out.
ajramos

Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajramos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOGM5150
i never messed with the diaphram on either of my carbs. i know they have been known to tear. maybe that is an issue? pilot i am not sure on i also never messed with mine. you may be rich there also i think stock is 40 or 42 but that is purely a guess. might even be from another carb. when you get your new jetting start adjusting the a/f screw first to achieve a good idle to start then work on the needle as it is almost the whole jetting circuit in the fcr carb. when you get it running great all the way through then work on full throttle runs to dial in your main.

or borrow or buy a lc1 wideband 02 meter and dial it in right. then you will know if one carb is crap or what.

i had a ton of issues with the carb i got on my 525 irs. i do not know what was done to it but it was impossible to lean out on the a/f gauge. i went to the bored carb i bought from lenick, he bought from deadman, and it ran great and responded to every adjustment. i did get the stock carb running well but always super rich. with the stock needle it would run well with the jd needles it ran like poo.

i am thinking it had some extra fancy experimental tuning and mods done to it, like mine, and it may need a bit of fixing to get it back the way it should be (silicone = bad) but for sure it is super rich.

yeah, my current carb does not respond to any jetting changes...  I plan on going back to stock settings and make changes from there.  Hopefully I can pick up an LC-1 cheap in a week or so.

I have the service manual...that lists all the stock settings.   

yeah, Deadman had some fancy work done to his by walt I believe...I will look into that after I get this thing running in stock form..

OK, so last night I changed the main jet to a 165 and put the stock OBVDS needle back in at the #4 position...no change...still dies when I lift up on the right side of the quad...looks like I am going to have to wait for Lane's carb to show up before I can get this thing running...sigh.

South SF Bay Area, CA '08 Outlaw IRS with black Maier plastics and '07 graphics - 570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5:1 - Stage 5 cam - 41 mm FCR carb overbore by ThumperRacing - Fuel Customs transition ring - Baldwin oil cooler - ThumperRacing hi-flow water pump - K&N air filter w/outerwears - FMF powerbomb header 7 Q4.1 silencer - R&D Racing power bowl2 w/adjustable leak jet - HRC Needle - Rekluse z-start pro auto-clutch - Maxxis RzrII front/rear tires on Douglas Aluminum rims
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #54 
How long does it take to die when you lift the one side?

Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Nick
How long does it take to die when you lift the one side?

two seconds or so...if i yank up and slosh the fuel it will die faster

South SF Bay Area, CA '08 Outlaw IRS with black Maier plastics and '07 graphics - 570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5:1 - Stage 5 cam - 41 mm FCR carb overbore by ThumperRacing - Fuel Customs transition ring - Baldwin oil cooler - ThumperRacing hi-flow water pump - K&N air filter w/outerwears - FMF powerbomb header 7 Q4.1 silencer - R&D Racing power bowl2 w/adjustable leak jet - HRC Needle - Rekluse z-start pro auto-clutch - Maxxis RzrII front/rear tires on Douglas Aluminum rims
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #56 
Have you tried removing the intake and tipping the quad?  Maybe peeking down the carb while tipping will tell you something you don't already know.

You could also loosen the intake clamp and tip the carb itself and leave the entire machine level.  This would possibly narrow it down to the carb for sure.

Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Have you tried removing the intake and tipping the quad?  Maybe peeking down the carb while tipping will tell you something you don't already know.

You could also loosen the intake clamp and tip the carb itself and leave the entire machine level.  This would possibly narrow it down to the carb for sure.

great idea...thanks.  I will try that tonight if i have some time...thanks!

ajramos

Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Quote:

great idea...thanks.  I will try that tonight if i have some time...thanks!

heh...will have to try this tomorrow night...tonight I got to the quad too late and woke up my kids...plus need a bit longer fuel line to rotate the carb far enough.  Will let you know how it goes...

ajramos

Reply with quote  #59 
OK, received the stock 39mm carb from Lane (thanks Lane!)...cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and air...rejetted to stock (OBDVS needle @#4, 148 Main Jet, 45 Pilot, 100 air jet, fuel screw @2 turns out) ...started 'er up.  When I crack the throttle the revs hang a bit (maybe 2 seconds) before settling down.  Put the 165 main in there and the revs still hang a bit..not crisp at all.

Reading this: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_FCR_Burns,Pat.html it seems to be a bit lean...is that what you guys have seen?

Unfortunately I dont have a 150, 152, 155...my next jet is at 160 IIRC.  Looks like I should buy some jets.

So, what do you guys think should be a good starting point?  I dont have an LC-1 yet so I am shooting in the dark here.

570CC, 12.5:1 CR, stock 39mm carb, airbox lid off, K&N filter, FMF pipe and header, pretty near sea level..what am I missing? (well...rest of the specifics are in my sig)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? 

BUT..I can shake the heck out of the quad and tip the right side up without it shutting down!!!  whew...I may get to ride this thing yet...LOL

LE Nick

Reply with quote  #60 
It's your pilot or idle speed. Main has about nothing to do with that.

Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
It's your pilot or idle speed. Main has about nothing to do with that.

OK, so bigger pilot?  

BTW...got in touch with Walt today...hoping to ship him my 41mm FCR soon!!!

Deadman

Reply with quote  #62 
or cable adjustment.... 

Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
or cable adjustment.... 

cable adjustment?  what do you mean?  I did not think of that...would the proper adjustment be listed in the service manual?  I dont have that here at work....how should it be set?

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #64 
the throttle cable needs like an 1/8 inch of slack in it. look inside the thumb throttle there are contacts in there. you will see in one second how they work. if there is not enough slack the machine will shut die as it thinks the thumb throttle is stuck or the cable is pinched. it could be that simple, i hope it is.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
ajramos

Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
the throttle cable needs like an 1/8 inch of slack in it. look inside the thumb throttle there are contacts in there. you will see in one second how they work. if there is not enough slack the machine will shut die as it thinks the thumb throttle is stuck or the cable is pinched. it could be that simple, i hope it is.

the engine is not cutting out from the throttle switch...just when I rev the engine the rpm's hang for a couple of seconds before coming down.  I will double-check the throttle cable though just to be sure.

I may have to go smaller on the pilot jet...from what I have read (or what I have understood) the hanging revs points to a rich mix...does that sound right?  This is all pretty new to me...so I am just trying to figure out the best starting point.
1. get the jetting in the ballpark without an LC-1
2. snappy throttle response...even if it is not perfect to start...

so, 45 pilot, 148 main,  OBDVS #4 on the needle right now...maybe try a 42 pilot and bump up the mains?

LE Nick

Reply with quote  #66 
Hanging idle is usually lean.  Pull the choke out and the idle should go back down.  Have you tried adjusting the idle screw?  What kind of RPM's are you idling at?  Should be around 1800.

Reply with quote  #67 
check the cable itself if u haven't. doesn't take much friction for them to cause problems, especially near the radiator
gncc #334 masters
wnyoa #534 40+ A class
thanks to
treyson racin, 100%, leatt, kenda, AXO, Matrix concepts, Engine Ice, lucas oils
ajramos

Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Quote:
<br><br>the engine is not cutting out from the throttle switch...just when I rev the engine the rpm's hang for a couple of seconds before coming down.  I will double-check the throttle cable though just to be sure.<br><br>I may have to go smaller on the pilot jet...from what I have read (or what I have understood) the hanging revs points to a rich mix...does that sound right?  This is all pretty new to me...so I am just trying to figure out the best starting point.<br>1. get the jetting in the ballpark without an LC-1<br>2. snappy throttle response...even if it is not perfect to start...<br><br>so, 45 pilot, 148 main,  OBDVS #4 on the needle right now...maybe try a 42 pilot and bump up the mains?

Thank you everyone for you help, suggestions, and sharing your knowledge. With the 39mm carb from Lane, your help, and Walt's help I have the quad running. 45 PJ, 155MJ, OBDVS #4 we seem to be running pretty good. I plan on sending the 41mm off to Walt in a few weeks to have him work his magic on it. Then hopefully I can get my hands on an LC-1.

Thank you all again.

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #69 
glad to hear you are getting it.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Deadman

Reply with quote  #70 

If you are having trouble making a stock carb work, do yourself a favor and don't get yours bored yet.  Once you bore them, you need to be able to tune almost every circuit on them and really we can't help much because every bored carb is a little different as far as how it affects each engine.  

I personally wold be happy it runs good, and just ride the piss out of it instead of spending the next month chasing the jetting.    

Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
<p>If you are having trouble making a stock carb work, do yourself a favor and don't get yours bored yet.  Once you bore them, you need to be able to tune almost every circuit on them and really we can't help much because every bored carb is a little different as far as how it affects each engine.  </p><p>I personally wold be happy it runs good, and just ride the piss out of it instead of spending the next month chasing the jetting.    </p>

Yeah. Keeping one completely stock. The one that came with the quad was already bored, but had issues. Will run the 39mm one until I get the 41 fixed, but will keep both so I can learn and still have a running machine.

Deere61200

Reply with quote  #72 
I see that this thread is a few yrs old, but anyways. Have any problems with the warming up and shuting off anymore? I have the same problem with mine
ajramos

Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere61200
I see that this thread is a few yrs old, but anyways. Have any problems with the warming up and shuting off anymore? I have the same problem with mine

I bought a stock FCR 39 from TheLANE here to determine if it was my carb or pulser coil. Turned out it was the carb after I replaced the pulser coil.

After cleaning the carb a few times (even had it sonic cleaned), and verifying the float height I ended up sending the carb out to Thumper Racing.

They replaced the emulsion tube (drilled style), throttle plate seal, adjusted the float, cleaned the carb and a dual spray accelerator pump squirter (since they were in there already).

I have not had any problems since...turnaround time was only a couple days, but you might want to call them to make sure. Thomas was the person I worked with over there.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.