Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #1 
I picked up a 04 predator 500 on trade, the guy I got it from said nothing wrong with it just needs some love, chain tightened, new choke cable and some other minor stuff. I'm thinking what ever yea I'll trade my mint Honda 300ex for a bigger faster wheeler... long story short I track down the previous owner before the guy I got it from and he says that when he sold it he told the guy it needs the valves adjusted.. anyways I live in minnesota and today was finally warm enough to get this thing started but it was real boggy and it wouldn't idle at first.. so I take off and it won't let me give it more than half throttle, I shift into 2nd and same thing happend I shift into 3rd and it starts to let me give it more gas 4th gear and 5th gear are prime and then down shifted and all gears are fine no bogging and I'm full throttle but then I let it idle for 5-10 mins and it's back to bogging... plz help my mods are aftermarket intake, fmf 160 jet kit, and the pure polaris exhaust it comes with from the factory here's a link to the video after I got done riding it
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
I can't speak for the predators, but my scrambler and sportsman won't hardly run over 1/4 throttle without an airbox. Now it is possible that someone has already jetted way up for the clamp on filter. 

You may try testing my theory by removing the filter and putting your hand over about 1/4 of the carburetor opening and see if the problem gets better. 

Maybe one of the Predator experts will join in and give some needle/main jet advice for running without an airbox. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
It is really hard to guess from a video but if it does not start easily when cold I would check and adjust the valves first. You might pull the top off the carb and make sure the needle is in place and the spring and washers above it are in the right order. If the rubber diaphragm on the slide is out of place not sealing or has a hole or crack in it. it will run like that. Assuming that your pipe has enough discs or is open in back Your jetting should be anywhere from a main jet of 165 to 175 with the needle clip in the 4th or 5th notch down from the top of the needle and your fuel air screw should be turned out 3 turns. Once you get it running well you may try some sort of tube in between the carb and clamp-on filter the predator seems to respond a little better with a stock carb with a 6 inch to 1 foot intake instead of just clamped right on the carb.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok when I first got the wheeler a couple weeks ago first thing I did was pull the carb and clean it, the diaphragm area was the worst it was caked with what I thought was mud, I showed it to my gma and she thought it was heavy carbon build up.. the original owner I tracked down said when he sold it back in September it needed a valve adjustment, he's also the one that told me it's jetted with a fmf jet kit and did the intake, he also said he never had problems with it but also never rode it in the colder months, my exhaust has no discs either. Could my valves be the reason it is running the way it is? It has also been really cold here lately.. would buying the stock jets for it be a good start?
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #5 
If anyone could help or give some advice or something it would be greatly appreciated, I've done as much research as I can and still have a 1500 dollar paper weight sitting in my garage.. so far I've cleaned and readjusted my carb, pilot screw is set 3 turns out, needle is on the 3rd notch down, the diaphragm is working correctly, I plan on tearing into the motor tomorrow to check timing and valves.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
I think I'd start by checking the valve lash. In fact I'm doing that on my wife's sportsman 500 this weekend. It won't start when its cold now. You might wanna replace your spark plug while you're there too.

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
Timing and valve clearances is where I would start also. The timing chain may be stretched it could have skipped a tooth in timing.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Well good luck, my exhausts were a little loose at .007 but 1 intake was less than .002 (the thinnest feeler I had) and the other .004... I guess it was way past due. I might check my scrambler next weekend.

Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #9 
Well fellow preddy riders good news, I tore into the motor and it turns out my timing was way off.. atleast a 90 degree rotation on both cams.. I re-timed it, I still think it's a tooth or 2 off cause it won't idle but as long as your on the gas it rides. But man am I glad I didn't have to fork out a bunch of money to fix it... I guess that just means I have more spending money for mods!!! Thanks everyone
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #10 
if it was off 90 I would guess you have bent valves.  I wouldn't get to excited about not spending money yet.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #11 
Yes take your time and get that timing perfect before you do anything else then check your clearances. If it ran at all with the timing too far off I would agree with Josh there is likely to be valve damage.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #12 
I think the guy I got it from tried to re shim and it was more of a job than he could handle. Everyone i have talked to said theres no way it could had gotten that bad on its own. I did a compression check and it came back 95 psi so I think the valves are good but I'm still gonna tear back into it and check valve clearances soon or I suppose I could just do a leak down.
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #13 
You have major problems at 95psi.  Stock specs are 130psi right from my service manual.
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #14 
Weird my manual says 80-95 psi

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: Screenshot_2017-03-09-10-52-24.png, Views: 25, Size: 285.43 KB 

joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #15 
That is weird.  I did find this same page in mine also but in overall quad specs it calls out the compression at 130 lol. 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #16 
Compression should be approximately 130 PSI but if you're decompression mechanism is working then it comes out to about 95 PSI

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Pred500RiDeR

Reply with quote  #17 
Do you guys think I could have some valve damage? Even with 95 psi compression?? Ive ridden the wheeler for probably 30 minutes since I reset the timing, now my only issue is it doesn't wanna idle which I think is cause my exhaust cam is a tooth off.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.