Polaris Pro Riders
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Hillbillydrummer

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a Suzuki LT80 (Not sure what year-I think it is 2002) and it will not start. I was told the starter is new and it has a new battery. I checked the battery and it reads 12.5V. When I hit the start button all I get is a click in the black 4 prong relay. I also unplugged it and jumped the 2 big wires but all it does is spark and get hot. It also gets hot if I keep pushing the start button. I also unplugged the white plug by the gas tank, hooked a wire to it and tried a battery charger...same thing...wires get hot. Then I removed the starter and used the battery charger on it. I hooked the black to the starter casing and the red to the hot lead on the starter...all it did was spark and make the battery charger hum louder. Is the starter bad? Do I need a relay? Both? I also know about the red button under the plastic. It wasn't even tripping so I bypassed it just to try what I could. I'm at a loss. I just want it to run for my son to ride. If anyone can help please do so. Thanks in advance!

Site Geographical Custodian
Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds like the motor is probably not seized, because the starter doesn't spin even when removed from the quad. Will the starter turn by hand if you try to spin the gear with a pair of pliers? The battery charger probably wont have enough juice to kick the starter over. I would take the starter over to your truck, ground the case to the vehicle and then use a jumper cable to supply 12V to the starter (assuming its just a 1 wire connector). If you cant get the starter to turn over under power when its removed from the quad, then the relay is not the issue. Starters are very simple. If its not working then you have a short, the brushes are shot, or its jammed in some way. 
Hillbillydrummer

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't have any big gauge wire to use as a jumper

Reply with quote  #4 
I just took a charged battery that reads 12.5v when tested connected a wire to the neg and pos...held the neg to the starter housing and touched the pos to the hot prong on the starter and it just sparked and the wires got hot. They actually started to glow orange for a second. I think the starter is bad...then again...maybe the wire I used isn't big enough? Thanks.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #5 
either the starter is bad or the engine is not turning. i had a little lt 80 that did the exact same thing. it turned out the float valve was stuck and had filled the engine with gas and oil. it was hydraulic locked. i pulled the pipe and carb and tipped the machine on it's side then upside down until i got it all drained out. put it back together and it fired and ran ever since.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Hillbillydrummer

Reply with quote  #6 
I can't get the starter to turn under power tho...unless I'm just dumb haha...been a long time...hope you are well Leo!

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #7 
I am good travis. i hope you are well also. It sounds to me like the starter is seized.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Hillbillydrummer

Reply with quote  #8 
I will pull the plug and stick something in there and see if it comes out wet...I guess it's possible there is gas in there. I did out a new petcock on it. We are also good...thanks for asking!

Reply with quote  #9 
did you take the starter off? try that. if you pull the plug and start it, assuming the starter is good, it will spit out the gas. my lt80 does that if it sits because the petcock is bad
Commi-chusetts
Hillbillydrummer

Reply with quote  #10 
It has a new starter and runs now. I do have a new problem tho. I bought a brand new relay...pugged it up and NOTHING! No click no nothing. I'm having to jump the 2 big red wires on that plug to turn the starter and crank it...so it runs...I just can't crank it with the start button. Any ideas? Could my start button switch be bad? Thanks guys!

Reply with quote  #11 
probably a broken wire i would imagine. do you have a multimeter? probe the wires(or plug if it has one) that lead to the switch with the neg prob on a good ground to see if you have power coming to the switch. then liquid elec tape the holes back up.if you do, bad switch
Commi-chusetts
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.