Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
ko66

Reply with quote  #1 
hey guys longtime its that season for me!

Dusted off the outlaw 525irs and a few questions first my charinging system is putting out a constant 15.2 volts does this indicate bad regulator? second could the 15v cause it to not want to keep running at aidle?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
When mine went out, I never measured the voltage so I cant tell you what it was, but it was enough to burn out a couple of those ridiculously priced headlights.  In fact, when the bulbs went out, I replaced them and after riding awhile I burned out a couple more.  That's when I replaced the regulator.  Id had saved a bunch of $$ if I had replaced it before buying 4 bulbs (about what the regulator costs I'd guess).  
   I think anything over 14.8 volts is excessive. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
ko66

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlawRider
When mine went out, I never measured the voltage so I cant tell you what it was, but it was enough to burn out a couple of those ridiculously priced headlights.  In fact, when the bulbs went out, I replaced them and after riding awhile I burned out a couple more.  That's when I replaced the regulator.  Id had saved a bunch of $$ if I had replaced it before buying 4 bulbs (about what the regulator costs I'd guess).  
   I think anything over 14.8 volts is excessive. 

Thats what i eat thinking 14.8 is the line, it running 15 with the fan on so i must assume its bad. Might explain why i can't get it to idle more that 3 minutes and the battery won't hold a charge.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
Mine ran fine with the regulator bad, but that kind of voltage will burn up a battery pretty quick.  My guess is you might also have crap in the carb from setting.  With ethanol that stuff will go Darth Vader on you (turns to the dark side) in as little as 2 months if you don't put some kind of stabilizer or at least Marvel oil in the gas.  Its also kinda rare on our outlaws, but you might check the intake manifold (the rubber tube from the carb to the head) for cracks.  They get hard and brittle and can leak, and its most noticeable at idle. 

ko66

Reply with quote  #5 
i did not think about the boot, mine sits in a tin shed no space in the garage. May be time to replace them all including radiator hoses everything is original.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
You can usually get the idle up and then spray some cleaner or starting fluid around the carb and see if the engine changes RPMS, if it does, you've got a leak.  Be careful using that stuff as some is pretty flammable, and some the fumes are pretty dangerous. 

ko66

Reply with quote  #7 
i was thinking of using a diffrent carb like a mikuni any suggestion and would you go with the factory regulator?

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
The fcr carb that comes on our quads are probably the best all around carb ever mass produced. I mean they are 39mm and they make 41mm that will add a little power to your stock bore quad. The best thing is they'll bolt up to your stock airbox and throttle position sensor. If you find one from a later model Honda 450r they have a better accelerator pump system (you can identify them by the accelerator pump cover-up they look different than all the rest).

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #9 
Its funny that you ask about the regulator brand.  I have an old motorcycle and am part of a website, and they all convert their regulators to SH775 (from the Polaris RZRs) and they they claim that most of the aftermarket ones are crap and fail, and to only use the genuine (Shindengen) ones as they never fail. Its just something you may want to keep in mind, however since both you and I have had the factory ones fail, maybe outlaws got some cheap crappy ones from the factory?  You may look at Rick's or Electrosport or something with a warrantee. 

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Well after replacing a regulator on a customers quad. I decided to tear into it, ( What a pain in the ass!! ) Found it had popped one capacitor and had one bad resistor. Replaced them plugged it in and ran it, Charged at 13.95 volts. IT was running 16.8 before i tore it apart.  But to put all that epoxy back in would suck to do . So for 49 cents in parts and a few dollars for epoxy, you could probably fix yours, but it will take hours to get to the epoxy out! See what us old guys do when we can't sleep at night!!!

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Its funny that you ask about the regulator brand.  I have an old motorcycle and am part of a website, and they all convert their regulators to SH775 (from the Polaris RZRs) and they they claim that most of the aftermarket ones are crap and fail, and to only use the genuine (Shindengen) ones as they never fail. Its just something you may want to keep in mind, however since both you and I have had the factory ones fail, maybe outlaws got some cheap crappy ones from the factory?  You may look at Rick's or Electrosport or something with a warrantee. 

do you think the the sh775 is worth a try? im ready to order plus im doing somethings that should have already been done. I removed the thermostat but now the housing leaks.
ko66

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraction628
Well after replacing a regulator on a customers quad. I decided to tear into it, ( What a pain in the ass!! ) Found it had popped one capacitor and had one bad resistor. Replaced them plugged it in and ran it, Charged at 13.95 volts. IT was running 16.8 before i tore it apart.  But to put all that epoxy back in would suck to do . So for 49 cents in parts and a few dollars for epoxy, you could probably fix yours, but it will take hours to get to the epoxy out! See what us old guys do when we can't sleep at night!!!

i thought about that or just use one from a newr motorcycle
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko66

do you think the the sh775 is worth a try? im ready to order plus im doing somethings that should have already been done. I removed the thermostat but now the housing leaks.

I don't know what it would take to make one work, but the genuine sh775 seem pretty bulletproof. Might be worth a shot. Buy a used one from a rzr. The genuine ones say sh775, have a stainless plate on the bottom instead of plastic, and have some round posts in the fins instead of all them being straight.

ko66

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:

I don't know what it would take to make one work, but the genuine sh775 seem pretty bulletproof. Might be worth a shot. Buy a used one from a rzr. The genuine ones say sh775, have a stainless plate on the bottom instead of plastic, and have some round posts in the fins instead of all them being straight.

one other question i cant find any decent silicone radiator hose all i can find are the chinese ones on ebay for 24 bucks. would they be ok or would you pass on it?
ko66

Reply with quote  #15 
looks like the 847 replaced the 755 and its 50amp continous rated.

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
looks like the 847 replaced the 755 and its 50amp continous rated.

I think the SH775 is popular because you can get a genuine one on Ebay off a RZR or CanAm for $40-$60 and they have a nearly zero failure rate.  Im running one on my old Suzuki motorcycle and I think I paid $40 and for like $10 I bought a kit to wire it.  On the old Suzuki bikes, apparently they'd make the stators run hot and burn them up. 
  I'd think 35amp would be plenty for our quads... I think it works out to 490watts, which is like 3 times what our stators are capable of I think.  That'd be allot of lights!

ko66

Reply with quote  #17 
unless im looking wrong i cannot find one lol.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #18 
Heres one :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Polaris-RZR-800-4x4-UTV-Rectifier-Voltage-Regulator-366-80/283119991251?hash=item41eb4439d3%3Ag%3A2YIAAOSwVxdbfsH9&LH_ItemCondition=4

and get this to go with it https://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-Connector-Kit-For-Yamaha-2002-2011-FZ-1-FZ-8-YFZ-R1-New/351338259610?fits=Make%3ATriumph&hash=item51cd64649a:g:E5cAAOSwFVZalvmo

ko66

Reply with quote  #19 

wow thanks! maybe i put the wrong thing in.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #20 
No problem.  Again I don't know if it'll work, and its a little bigger than the stock one, but I'll bet it'll last longer than the quad.  lol

ko66

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
No problem.  Again I don't know if it'll work, and its a little bigger than the stock one, but I'll bet it'll last longer than the quad.  lol

lol i bet you right, if i need to relocate it i will.
ko66

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:

I think the SH775 is popular because you can get a genuine one on Ebay off a RZR or CanAm for $40-$60 and they have a nearly zero failure rate.  Im running one on my old Suzuki motorcycle and I think I paid $40 and for like $10 I bought a kit to wire it.  On the old Suzuki bikes, apparently they'd make the stators run hot and burn them up. 
  I'd think 35amp would be plenty for our quads... I think it works out to 490watts, which is like 3 times what our stators are capable of I think.  That'd be allot of lights!

Do you remeber which canam these are on?

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #23 
It looks like all the Outlanders/Renegades used them 2006-2008 and some 2004-2005 did too. 

ko66

Reply with quote  #24 
thank you !!

ko66

Reply with quote  #25 
looks like sea doo uses that 775 as well.  part number710001103

polaris ranger uses775 ba instead of 775aa part number4012941

ko66

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
It looks like all the Outlanders/Renegades used them 2006-2008 and some 2004-2005 did too. 

got a sh775 and its wried in i was thinking about doing a write up.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:

got a sh775 and its wried in i was thinking about doing a write up.

That'd be good. Seeings how the regulators seem pretty weak on ours and the Sh775 seems pretty indestructible on RZRs even with auxillary lights and sound systems.

ko66

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:

That'd be good. Seeings how the regulators seem pretty weak on ours and the Sh775 seems pretty indestructible on RZRs even with auxillary lights and sound systems.

Will do im wired it just to get it running so its not neat. Once i get the wire i need ill do the write up with pictures. I think it fixed my idle issue as well its a bad battery, but once the system leveled out to 14.4 it never shutoff.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.