Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Haggs06

Reply with quote  #1 
My Outlaw has been sitting for the better part of 3 months (winter in Maine).  Went out the other day and noticed that the exhaust was full of insulation from mice.  I have a "power tip" on the end of an otherwise stock exhaust.  I cleaned it out and decided to start it.  Sure enough 2 mice shot out the muffler (was funny to be honest).  Revved it a bit to clear the muffler tip out and noticed two things:

1.  When revving into the higher RPM is would crackle and pop and not run smooth at all.  Idles fine and runs up through the mid-range, but higher not so much,

2.  After roughly 5-6 minutes it overheated and shut-off.  Never heard the fan come on, but it happened rather quickly.

Leads me to think a couple things possibly.

1.  Fan relay switch is bad?
2.  Mice got all the way to the top of the head by the valves and left some stuff that got stuck in the cylinder (idle and started fine)
3.  Carb isn't adjusted?  I have a K&N Drop in and the power tip on the stock muffler, not sure if the PO jetted the carb of if it even needs it.

Before I rip apart the cooling system and take the head off of the engine, I just wanted to see what y'alls thought might be on what the issue is or what I could do to trouble shoot.  Thanks!
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
is it a 500 or 525?

I would think that even if they had somehow got all the way into the head, you would have cleared it out when it started.  So it sounds lean (maybe crud in the carburetor) or maybe your gas went to the dark side.  Try draining it all out and start over. 

As for the overheating... check your water level, maybe some leaked out.  Whats odd, is that it takes mine 5-10 minutes to get to operating temperature... and longer than that to get hot even without my fan running (especially if the temps are cool).... and I don't think mine has any kind of "automatic shut off" if it overheats.

If that's not it then spin the fan with your finger to see if it turns freely (them pesky mice might've shoved stuff in there). 
  If all that is good, I think you can unhook the fan sensor and the fan should kick on... but I may be wrong. 

On a side note... a few weeks ago I had some critters crawl up under the hood of my car (to stay warm I assume) and they chewed off 2 wires going to my coil pack.  When dealing with rodents, check your wires...

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
If it sat long enough undisturbed for mice to get inside and make it home my guess is that your carburetor has crap in the idle pilot circuit I would take the carb apart and clean it thoroughly including every single jet before I did anything else

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Haggs06

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the replies.  It is a 500.  I didn't see any signs of the mice going into the exhaust pipes, only the insulation in the canister itself.  I think they ran down there when I was pulling the insulation out.  my only worry is that with there being two of them that came out, there might be a few dead baby mice stuck up there, possibly even blocking the exhaust pipe a bit causing the temp to rise quickly and the sputtering at higher revs. I did rev the crap out of it for that time period to remove anything that was in there, might have been too much after sitting for while.  Either way I think I am going to play with the fan to make sure that works, pull apart and clean the cooling system (needs it anyway), clean the carb and then pull off the header and see if I can see anything up there. 
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Could also be a stuck thermostat.  Did the radiator get warm or just the motor?

Reply with quote  #6 
It had steam coming out of the radiator cap, so I assume it was. Not sure though
Haggs06

Reply with quote  #7 
So a very interesting result after some prodding around.  It appears that what I thought was overheating and shutting off was actually a culmination of things happening at the same time.  Admittedly when I looked at it initially I didn't have a lot of time and didn't look at it all that particularly well.  Yesterday I took off the exhaust side plastics, pulled apart the exhaust and checked everything for mice intrusion.  Everything was good, checked the cooling system, good there, put the exhaust back together and was good to go.  Went to start it up and it was cranking for a bit.  Checked the fuel tank, bone dry.  Clue number one.  Put in some gas, started right up and revved just fine.  After roughly 2 minutes I noticed what I thought was steam coming form the radiator cap again.  Looked a lot closer at it and noticed that there is an exhaust leak where the pipes connect, and that the exhaust was slowly creeping up under the plastics and coming out over by the radiator cap.  Could only see it with a light applied to it.  So all in all, it just so happened that I noticed the "exhaust" coming out my the radiator cap and then had the machine turn off due to running out of fuel at the same time causing my concern.  Feel a bit foolish but luckily there is nothing really wrong other than a small exhaust leak.  Thanks for all the replies and help.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Well that was an easy fix!
I thought it was odd that your quad had some type of shut off when it overheated, as I think mine would run until it was a puddle of molten aluminum. lol

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.