Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
marc2000gt

Reply with quote  #1 
So my new to me outlaw is down. It looks like the decompression lever came through the head cover. It was still running, just noticed some smoke, shut it off, started looking around and found it.

So reading up I find the cover is machined with the head so they are a set. The hole it put in the head cover is multiple pieces, so I don't think it's able to be repaired.

I just purchased it two weeks ago. I feel sick, what a mess.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
Yes they are a set but they can be replaced. I say go on eBay buy a used head cover install it, then check all your clearances as long as your clearances are good you should be fine.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
marc2000gt

Reply with quote  #3 
I just can't believe my luck. Searching on it I see where others have had the lever break in the KTM 525, but not come through the head.

I just wonder what else I am going to find.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
Actually, the RFS engines seem to have been designed with keeping damage to a minimum in the event of something breaking.  They have screens and guards all over the place to keep pieces of debris from going too far.  I'll bet you'll get away with pulling the pieces out and replacing the broke stuff.  Also, as Leo said, the head and covers are designed as a unit and shouldn't be mixed and matched... but the production tolerances from KTM are usually really tight so as long as theres sufficient clearance (no cam binding) you will probably be ok (unlike  the main caps on a small block chevy...).

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
marc2000gt

Reply with quote  #5 
Figured I would give an update. Travis at Thumperracing gave me a rocker box for the cost of shipping. I didn't find any other damage, just the hole in the rocker box. Where it broke off, you could tell from the coloring of the metal that it was breaking for a while. I have the engine back together, and have turned it over by hand, all feels well. He recommended flushing the engine a couple of times with diesel fuel, so that is next. Hopefully it will be running this weekend.

I also found that I don't have a spark plug socket that will fit once the rocker box is on. A few small hiccups like that, kids, a lawn, and a job slowed process a bit.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2000gt
Figured I would give an update. Travis at Thumperracing gave me a rocker box for the cost of shipping. I didn't find any other damage, just the hole in the rocker box. Where it broke off, you could tell from the coloring of the metal that it was breaking for a while. I have the engine back together, and have turned it over by hand, all feels well. He recommended flushing the engine a couple of times with diesel fuel, so that is next. Hopefully it will be running this weekend. I also found that I don't have a spark plug socket that will fit once the rocker box is on. A few small hiccups like that, kids, a lawn, and a job slowed process a bit.

I know there are some here that don't care for Travis at Thumper, but Ive had good experiences with Thumper. 

As for the plug wrench, I had to modify a regular spark plug socket by grinding off a little with a bench grinder. 

marc2000gt

Reply with quote  #7 
A little more background on the quad. I changed the oil when I first got it. The small screen had metal in it. The drain plug was a self tapper with a head that was too big to fit properly. When I put it back it leaked badly. I put a heli coil in and put a stock plug in. Well fast forward to today, I have flushed the engine a few times now, I cranked it up for a minute or so for the first time since the decompression lever broke. It sounded ok. I shut it down, drained the oil, and more metal in the short screen, plus on the drain plug magnet.

Looks like I have purchased someone's problem. Sometimes I really hate people. When I sell something, I tell them everything.

Looks like it is going to have to be torn down or parted out. I'm not totally sure which way to go yet.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2000gt
A little more background on the quad. I changed the oil when I first got it. The small screen had metal in it. The drain plug was a self tapper with a head that was too big to fit properly. When I put it back it leaked badly. I put a heli coil in and put a stock plug in. Well fast forward to today, I have flushed the engine a few times now, I cranked it up for a minute or so for the first time since the decompression lever broke. It sounded ok. I shut it down, drained the oil, and more metal in the short screen, plus on the drain plug magnet. Looks like I have purchased someone's problem. Sometimes I really hate people. When I sell something, I tell them everything. Looks like it is going to have to be torn down or parted out. I'm not totally sure which way to go yet.

I think Id run it for awhile and drain and change the oil again. 
Anytime you have an engine that shares its oil with the transmission (or more specifically the clutch plates) you'll end up with more crud (including metal) in your oil.  Your's may have more metal due to the PO stripping the threads and "fixing" it.   I really wouldn't worry about it.

marc2000gt

Reply with quote  #9 
Actually, that is what I am thinking. I think I am going to put new filters and screens in, run some rotella, and drain it every couple of rides to see what I get. If it clears up I will go back to my normal oil.

Maybe I am just being overly cautious. If it keeps up, I will pull the engine and see what is going on. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.