Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #1 

So ive been searching and reading about the noise in the clutch. Mine has a squeeling noise when I take off fast in a tough spot. Ive read about upgrading the clutch bearings but don't know the part number or where to get the better bearings. Also is there something else that I should do or upgrade while im in there?

The bike is a 07 525 Outlaw.

Reply with quote  #2 
They all do this.  Unless your clutch is slipping, or making some really really bad noises, don't touch it.  They squeal when you make them labor real hard.  Hurts nothing. 

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 

The squeal come from the harmonics of the clutch basket vibrating as it is being loaded. Some oils make the sound worse and some better. But you will find that most all KTM motors will get a clutch squeal at some point in time.

If it is just a squeal and nothing else seems bad you can try changing the oil or trying a different brand of oil to see if it lessons the sound.

But nothing will get rid of it 100%.

On my bike, I find that I start to get the sound right about the time its due for an oil change. Change the oil and the sound is gone for the most part until the time its due for another oil change.

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
that is better than an hour meter a deluxe alarm!

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Wheelie Man

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My Clutch Bearings went out and it wiped out my bottom end.

Wheelie Man

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Here is the noise mine had.. 

Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you guys for the comments. My clutch has always made the knocking sound but recently under hard clutch use like climbing a hill where the clutch has to be used several times it will squeel loudly. I have never liked the sound that it makes even brand new. I will order the bearings then tear into it and inspect it. I read that someone on here lost his bottom end by the bearings coming loose. I will post the results when the bearings get in. Thank you for your replies.

Reply with quote  #8 

I need new clutch plates, what do you guys use, what brand??? my clutch is starting to slip. The rpms have taken a rise on my trail tech vapor and she got slower Plus I feel it.  Pretty good ,great run , since They have been in there since day one. should i use get oem plates ? fibers and steals/kit ?

Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #9 

Ok so I just took out the clutch and it looks good. But one thing I see is that it's assembled with the steel plates against the front and rear of the basket. Metal on metal? This is even how the parts diagram shows it is installed. Every clutch that I have ever done has the friction plates on the outside. Is this wierd?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2007-polaris-outlaw-525-a07gp52aa-ab/o/m10691#sch504205

Reply with quote  #10 

that is weird, no wonder why they make so much noise.

Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #11 
Ok so I found this aluminum left hand thread nut very loose. I took it off with my fingers. I believe it is on the crankshaft. Is this nut supposed to be this loose?

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Hope the rest of the bottom end is still ok..

Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #13 
It ran great. Just started this wierd clutch squeeling noise. I've ordered the bearings just in case they were bad. I dont like the idea of the steel clutch plates against the aluminum pressure plate and the rear basket.

BTW this nut was not falling off. It was against the gear. But it was so loose I took it off with my fingers just to show yall in the pic. Does anyone have any info on how tight this nut is supposed to be?

Reply with quote  #14 

I heard this nut being looose is the cause for the knocking in the bottom end

08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #15 

When that nut is loose you do get an odd knocking sound.  Clean it with alcohol and use red locktite on it.  Let it cure for 24hrs before putting oil back in and you should be good to go.

I believe you have to torque it to 110 foot pounds.

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Butter#212

Reply with quote  #16 
I know its weird, but that's how the KTM clutches are designed. I said the same thing when we took one of mine apart. Did you notice it uses 2 different thicknesses on the steels? The outter ones are thinner than the inner ones (or vice versa, can't remember at the moment). I believe the count is 8 steels 7 fibers. And also notice the inner basket uses individual rollers where the fibers and steels ride. Check for wear on them.

Brick, I used the EBC clutch kit. So far so good. The OEM one was difficult for me to get, so I had to reference the KTM 450XC part # out of Parts Unlimited beings they don't offer one for anything Polaris. At least I got it in a day.

Brett Butter #212

'10 Outlaw MXR
Walsh/Fox/Rath/RAGE/Terry/Flexx/TRP/DWT

'09 Outlaw MXR (SOLD)
Rath/Fox/FMF/TRP
Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks 08IRS for info on the nut. I think EVERYONE needs to check this if they have this bike. Sure the left hand threads kept it from coming off but it should have been tight.

Butter#212: Yea the thicknesses on the plates seems useless. But i like the design on ALL of the clutch components. The rollers, and the outer basket are super trick. I guess this is where the known knock comes from on every outlaw.

I will be doing some measuring on everything and I hope I can come up with something that will help with all of the clutch noise.

I still dont like the thought of a steel clutch plate being on both ends of the clutch basket. GURUS please explain!

Reply with quote  #18 

Speedfreak there are posts already about that nut on the crank. I run stock fibers as they hold up the best. Mine too makes the noise once in a while. I run RotellaT oil and it seems to quiet the squeel down.

2009 KTM450XC: Bubba Power 525 with port and polish, Baldwin carb Mod, Baldwin race wiring harness mods, Dirt Bike CDI,Baldwin Oil cooler,Flexx bars, Precision Dampner,Houser steering stem, AC Skid plate, Rath Nerfs, Rath Bumper,Blingstar Sprocket Guard, Ars FX Rotor Guard,GT Thunder shock Conversion, Powermadd hand guards and bark busters, Twist throttle,Hiper wheels, GBC Tires,HMF Full exhaust with Tim Farr head pipe,Ballistic Battery,Dirtworks 24 volt system with second Ballistic Battery, JB Racing modified a arms Dyno tuned at HMF.

2008 Polaris Outlaw 525S. HLS Front Suspension,GT Thunder rear shock, Precision Steering Stabilizer,Hiper wheels, Rath Nerfs and radiator shrouds, Flex bars,HMF Exhaust,Bubba Power motor with Ported Head,All Out Throttle graphics,GBC tires,GT Thunder modified Poly Skid,
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #19 
so you ktm guys get a loose nut while the fuji guys get the backing out 1 way bearing bolts backing out.  glad polaris gave something to every yr polaris owner.
Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #20 
426Power Quote:

Speedfreak there are posts already about that nut on the crank. I run stock fibers as they hold up the best. Mine too makes the noise once in a while. I run RotellaT oil and it seems to quiet the squeel down.Quote

I will do some research on this nut and thanks about the rotella oil. I have been using Sylkolene and another good atv oil and just bought Castrol 20w-50 to try. I'll do the rotella and wont look back. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the steel plates against the aluminum hub? No one has said anything about this!

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #21 

What do you want someone to say???  That is the way it has come from the factory for years now!

570 Thumper Racing kit w/ 12.5 - 1 CP piston. Head ported by Thumper Racing w/ new intake seats done by Pro-1 racing. Stage 5 cam (Custom design by Thumper Racing). AC bearing mod. Oil system mod by DJH. KW valves (stock size). * #100 CDI dirt bike CDI. 42 mm FCR carb by Walt/Fast64ranchero. (SX carb = No TPS). Trail Tech -10 oz flywheel. (Stock is 30 oz/ trail tech = 21 Oz's)
Mino water pump. Full flow set up, no T-stat. PB Oil cooler. Custom modded intake. Uni filter/ D2 Moto adapter on a modded Predator intake tube.
KTM Bill modded CT racing full exhaust system. Tusk Clutch kit. Honda thumb throttle. Snyder Motorsports adjustable upper A-arms. PP Billet front hubs W/ DLR tapered roller bearings. Custom modded fox suspension. Hidden comfort camo seat cover on a modded stock seat.
Thelane

Moderatard
Reply with quote  #22 
So has anyone gone in there and tightend that nut to find that the knocking has completely stopped?

Mine knocks, squeels, screams, creaks, vibrates, ect all the time. Its one damn noisy motor!!!

Spode Freestyler

Team Spode Racing - *LOOK PRO, GO SLOW*

2012 yf250f

Thank you to my sponsors: Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Lone Star Racing, DWT, Motoworks, Spy Optics, ATV Powersports, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips, Polarisproriders.com
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #23 
yeah i also think it sounds like a bad idea but they work good. also yes they are a noisy beast. it is hard to tell is perfect running one from a clattering one that is about to blow. basically you have to know it from the time you get it and listen for difference in sounds.

the clattering noise from that loose nut does stop when it is properly tight with thread locker.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
joshr08

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Bob I have to say your awesome.  I love the straight shooting answers you give.
polaris bob

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #25 

I was not trying to be an ass, ( Although I'm sure that's the way I come off most times. ) but I found myself asking ............ what does the OP want someone to say????

In a nut shell, to answer the questions asked in this thread.

Yes, the stock clutch has steels against the aluminum basket and clutch plate.

yes the clutch gets noisy after a while. Most times a oil change or a change to a different oil helps out a lot.

Yes the clutch side crank nut coming loose is a well known issue from the factory. The fix is to pull the clutch cover, remove the nut and clean the threads with a good solvent and re-assemble with red loctite and let sit for 24 hours before putting oil back in the motor to allow the loctitie to dry / cure fully.

The stock clutch plate are just about the best ones on the market, but are very very expensive.

There are a few good aftermarket ones out on the market. For the dirt bike based motor the Tusk brand fibers and steels have shown to be a good buy for me. I'm sure others have had similar success with other aftermarket brands.

Deadman

Reply with quote  #26 
About that loose Primary nut....My 07 was always quiet and then around 20 hrs it knocked bad.  I knew it was some sort of rattle and didn't get to worried.  Then I read about the primary nut coming loose and I decided to check mine.  Mine was loose just like yours, and after I tightened it My rattle was gone completly.  
The nut actually Can't come off as it hits the inside of the cover, so it won't fall off.  Mine was backed off and rattling on the cover.  So, YES, mine went to quiet after I tightened the loose nut!

Reply with quote  #27 

I am so suprised that the crank nut hasn't backed off On my outlaw yet. I haven't check it but I have no odd noise. I will be in that cover very soon so I guess we will find out. My engine is well past the rebuild time like by 2x, I guess I got a good engine. as most of you guys know ,Im not easy on my quads so this engine lasting over 300 hours is something.

Thelane

Moderatard
Reply with quote  #28 

Your at 300 Hours on the same piston!?!?!?!?!?!?!!   Holy ****

Spode Freestyler

Team Spode Racing - *LOOK PRO, GO SLOW*

2012 yf250f

Thank you to my sponsors: Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Lone Star Racing, DWT, Motoworks, Spy Optics, ATV Powersports, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips, Polarisproriders.com
Deadman

Reply with quote  #29 
Is that with an Hour Meter? 

Reply with quote  #30 
yep, hour meter and trail tech. and yes same piston. she is wore out tho, I took her out yesterday and she felt like a stock predator or less, she has lost alot of power,its time for a rebuild.

I guess running the rotella t from the begining was the right thing to do, I also changed the oil almost after every ride(but not in glamis, just twice).I clean the filter EVERY ride. I also ran her with a mix of av gas and super 93. like 75%93 and 25% av. I know it didn't really add any HP but it felt better and I think the AV helps keeps the topend lubed and clean.(additives in the av gas). I did mod the cooling set up and run the POLARIS BOB oil cooler set up. Really tho, I don't know why she has made it this long or this far, maybe the ATV gods are giving me a break, after all the issues Ive had in the past with my predator engines.
She shouldn't have made though the trip to glamis. I ran her hard for 10 days, averaged almost 100 miles a day. I even ran her wide open from pad 4 to butter cup(only slowed down for road crossing) Thats like 20 something miles in 5th gear at 75MPH. I cann't believe she didn't blow up, on sand highway(banshee graveyard)
Team Bricktucky

Reply with quote  #31 
I got to tell you guys that Im afraid to change her to a big bore. Too many problems and no trust in anyone to build one for me, so whatever i do, Im doing myself. I had thought about just buying a whole new outlaw stock and swapping over the parts or just switching the engines , then selling the extra parts. I think Ill want to keep her stock, for the most part, I mean I can not complain about the oem engine at all, yes it could use a tad more power, but at what cost. Id rather her make another 300 hours, then taking her apart every week. I got my predators for bore bore building. I bought the outlaw to have slightly stock quad(engine wise)
with how my outlaw engine treated me , Im suprised everytime I hear about guys with issues, blowing cranks, bearing failures,nuts falling off, ect ect. how my engines avoided that is mined blowing. I swear I didn't pussy foot her.
Speedfreek

Reply with quote  #32 
Just to give yall an update. I replaced the clutch bearings and tightened the crank nut. I believe the initial noise came from the crank nut. But after getting everything back together it is unreal how quiet the engine is now. I am glad to have fixed the problem but am kinda scared on how much damage the crank nut being loose did. Thank you guys for your advise.

The clutch noise these bikes are known for has been completely eliminated!

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #33 
glad to here you got it fixed.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Patrickmn77

Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreek
Ok so I found this aluminum left hand thread nut very loose. I took it off with my fingers. I believe it is on the crankshaft. Is this nut supposed to be this loose?

Clean up threads and nut apply red loctite and tighten to spec.  They all do this.

TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #35 
Wow this is really bringing back an old thread from the dead!  lol!

Really, Im just glad people are still posting up stuff here. 

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.