Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Deadman

Reply with quote  #51 
green is

Reply with quote  #52 
Went with the black.  Should be here soon.  And yes, net heel guards built in.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Good call.
SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #54 
Finally got the nerfs mounted up. Didn't get to take it for a spin yet but I'm disappointed with how high the pegs are. They are about an inch higher than the Raths I took off. Just makes the machine feel more cramped up. I've read that they are higher but I thought I'd try them anyways. I'll get pictures and a more detailed review soon.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #55 
bummer. sorry man, time to cut and weld the 2 together and make your own ultimate custom lenerfs.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
ScramblerXLE

Reply with quote  #56 
Nick you got a 2008 YFZ too and I didn't get a phone call!? Guess I didn't see the thread either, so now that I'm all read up, let me go grab a beer...

... back.

Now then let's see what I can add to this thread ! If you're not up for a lengthy but hopefully informative and fun read, feel free to move along.

I got myself a smoking deal on a 2008 YFZ a couple years ago. I've raced it several times locally and at the GNCCs and here's what I've found about it: The stock throttle lever is ATROCIOUS! It is comfortable at full throttle but other than that, BAD. Add in wet gloves and the rocks in PA and you're thumb will fall off the lever so many times that dudes that you usually beat by 10 minutes or more will actually be hanging with you. (in my experience anyway... Bad day!) Replace it with a Honda throttle, tie the two wires from the TORS switch together (unlike a Polaris) and you're in business. The brakes are GOOD. BUT they aren't on the same level as the KTM's. I use 1 finger on my front brakes on the KTM, and when I'm riding the YFZ at a race, usually the first time I'm really hard braking into a corner I will say "OH CRAP!" as 1 finger doesn't do NEAR as much as it does on the KTM. They modulate as well as the KTMs do, and have the same stopping power, it just requires more input and with 3 orange bikes in the garage and 1 blue one, it takes a minute to get used to when you switch. Power-wise the YFZ is good, but we'll talk about that later. If yours isn't, something is wrong. When my cylinder was worn out and compression was starting to go away it ran about like you're describing. A 12.75:1 CP piston is the only internal mod in my engine now and it's every bit as quick down the stretch as a stock KTM. I've come around 2006+ Hondas on this thing, especially with the Cam mod done, which brings me to my next point.

The Cam mod. BAD. I LOVE the way it runs, but as an XC guy starting is important. It is NOT everything, but it is important. With the Cam Mod done to my YFZ, it never started the same way twice. Sometimes it wanted throttle, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I had to pump it once, then crank, sometimes I had to get it cranking then give it a tiny bump, sometimes it would start with it partially cracked, sometimes it wouldn't start until you cranked and cranked while you bumped the throttle a couple times then it would reluctantly come to life. This was NEVER a problem around the house, practicing, screwing around etc. But I raced it 3 times that way at the nationals. All 3 times I was the last guy off the line. Not starting last is an extremely important part of having a good day. So I put the cam timing back to stock and I routinely pull holeshots and locals again. I imagine with 24v the cam mod could be made to start effectively (basically flood it then with 24v make it crank over and light anyway lol) but my premise with this bike was something I could ride hard and put away wet and not worry about it, so that was just 1 more maintenance item and as such, it has been omitted.

The charging system. BAD. They DID NOT fix the charging system on the 06+ bikes, they bandaided it. The YFZ charging system, for reasons beyond my comprehension, requires a load to charge. On the 2004-05 ones if you took the lights off, the bike wouldn't run because it didn't produce enough power to charge itself and run, so you'd run off the battery until the battery died a short while later. Yamaha fixed this with the "GYTR resistor kit" which was a resistor with a headlight plug on it, so you could plug it in where the lights were and always run the switch on and you could run the bike without lights. Alternatively you could simply leave the lights on the bike and always ride with the switch on. Well in 2006+ you stopped having to run the resistor kit, but NOT because Yamaha fixed it! All they did was add the resistor to the harness from the factory so that when your light switch is off, it goes to the resistor, when it's on, it bypasses the resistor and goes to the lights. This way there's always a load on the charging system to keep it charging. The problem comes when you're in the rocks in PA (same day... SERIOUSLY BAD DAY!) and you bump the light switch to on and you've recently removed the lights from your YFZ. Within a few minutes it refuses to rev, but still has juice enough to light back up (again after random throttle applications... stupid cam mod...) like nothing's wrong. Eventually, you'll get off and throw your airbox lid into the woods, thinking it must be running rich and loading up, but you will be incorrect! Some time later while you're limping around the track you will notice the light switch and shut it off while holding the throttle at half and hear to the engine RPMs IMMEDIATELY jump to the rev limiter. The bike will run fine the rest of the day as long as you keep that switch off and you will even be able to find your airbox lid after the race! BUT as long as you leave the switch on off (or leave the lights on the bike) and occasionally top the battery up, the charging system on the 2006+ does appear to be leaps and bounds ahead of the 2004 and 2005 ones! next...

THE ENGINE. BAD. Well... Not really bad, as it's REALLY quick down the stretch and runs AWESOME as long as you're in the right gear, but the bottom-end is pretty soft and with stock cam timing it goes pretty flat on top as well. To be honest the only place the engine is really remarkable is in the mid-range, but the trouble there is that it hits so hard that I often find it MORE fatiguing to ride than the KTM, ESPECIALLY in the tight stuff. Let me explain why: Because of the lack of bottom-end, I have to keep the YFZ a gear lower than I would prefer and as such, that explosive mid-range when I snap the gas on full on corner exits makes it more of a handful than the KTM is when it would be a gear higher and I apply the throttle the same way. The fix that I have found is clutch abuse. I soften the blow by revving and slipping the clutch coming out of corners, or by running it a gear high whether it likes it or not and just revving it and clutching it like a 2-stroke when the speed gets to low. Interestingly, I go through fiber plates somewhat frequently, but in an interesting twist, I've turned steel plates BLACK with clutch heat several times and have yet to warp one, so overall I've got to give the clutch about 10x higher marks in durability than the KTM RFS one where I replace steel plates every 2 races due to a tendency to warp them on the 3rd. I can usually get half a season on a YFZ clutch. I cannot get half a season on a KTM clutch. I know it's a riding style problem, but it doesn't seem to be changing so it is what it is. So overall I give my 12.75:1 stock-timed engine VERY GOOD marks for the power it makes but somewhat bad marks for how it delivers it, if that makes any sense. I also have to give it mixed marks in durability. The valve-train is amazing and never seems to need serviced. The clutch basket it made of aluminum and will slot out like a wood saw. Replace it with a billet basket and you're fine. The stock cylinder coating wears out much quicker than KTM's, but a good recoat job takes care of that. Oh! And I broke 2nd gear in half on my stock engine, which was lame, however I've only ever taken it apart once to take care of all those things, and since then it has ran flawlessly, so I've gotta say it's a pretty dang reliable little motor.

The rear suspension: AMAZING. The YFZ's linkage is so good that I'm pretty sure you could put a blaster shock on it or a Scrambler 500 shock on it (obviously cut to the appropriate lengths... work with me here.) and it would still work! Somehow it's so progressive that it masks bad shock work, by still managing to be plush at first even if you're over-damped, and still refusing to bottom out even if you're under-damped. As a guy who is VERY particular about his rear suspension, it's about 10000x easier to dial in than a no-link setup. I'm not sure that the re-worked Elka I have on the back of it is better than my 2008 KTM or anything, but I can tell you for sure that the KTM is more on a razor's edge where a couple clicks either way and it's bad. With the YFZ, that's simply not the case. It was even great with the old completely stock '08 DSC shock. I raced it at Snowshoe on all stock shocks and all I had to say at the end was that it could have been a tiny bit plusher in the front end. I can tell you that several guys have taken my YFZ through the rough stuff and told me "You know, before I rode that I'd have never considered an Elka shock, but that's AMAZING!" I feel like they're giving the shock too much credit though. The YFZ rear-end is just really, really good.

The front suspension: ... Not bad. It's not as amazing as the back end, as the stock shocks are a little stiff in low-speed stuff. (even for me and I like them a bit stiff) The front end also pushes a bit and isn't terribly precise. Add some caster-adjustable A-arms though, and the thing starts to work a whole heck of a lot better quick. (Oh and Nick, if you still haven't moved your upper A-arms all the way forward on the KTM, no more complaining about it pushing until you try that )

Odds and ends: (as ever, from a GNCC rider's point of view.) The rear carrier bearings are not the best. Somehow I trashed a set in about 10 hours and it wiped out the carrier. I put an SRP greasable carrier on it but haven't put a lot of time on it to know how well it will hold up yet, so we'll see. The tank is too small to race Nationals from the factory, making an IMS tank mandatory. I've had to put it on reserve a few times, even with the IMS tank at the nationals, but I'm still barely able to finish the race without a fuel stop. That's WITH being lapped by the Pros. If that doesn't happen and I'm on the YFZ, I imagine I should stop on the last lap for a splash. Maybe it's my riding style, maybe it's that the bike has to rev to work unlike the KTM, but it goes through a good bit more fuel than my orangy bikes. (except for the 2 stroke I guess...) The steering post is too short for tall guys. OH and as a side note, everyone thinks they run cool because their fans don't kick on as often. TURNS OUT this is not true. As another charging system bandaid, Yamaha raised the fan setpoint to (according to my trailtech) 225, and set the fan to kick back off at 215! That said, it doesn't seem to have hurt reliability at all, so whatever. If you get above about 255 though, with a 12.75:1 piston, the Ti valves hold enough heat to make it start pre-detinating and stop revving past about 5500 RPM. This is most likely to happen when you're sitting in a huge bottleneck on a hill in KY, making it impossible to climb the hill even if all these Bros get out of your way. Fortunately, racer productions crew members will show up and route you around the hill, which is good because your YFZ will be perfectly capable of going back DOWN the hill. It will take about 7-10 minutes to clean up so that it runs right again, but there will not appear to be any lasting negative effects. haha!

CONCLUSION: You probably thought there would never be an end to my rambling, but here it is: Overall, I fell in love with this stupid bike. I started the year racing on it and raced it in 2 GNCCs this season as well as some locals. (and a 3rd GNCC that doesn't count because I only finished on lap... not it's fault... even worse day than the bad day referenced above...) At first I was like "this thing is too punchy and too fatiguing to ride," but then I adapted. Then I was like "You have to rev it to make it work!" but then I realized that I rev stuff whether I should or I shouldn't so it actually complemented my riding style quite a lot! Then I after a few races I actually got my KTM back together and started racing it and honestly I found myself asking "wow! WHERE IS THE HIT!?" which I never imagined would have happened! Overall I think I'm still a tick faster on the KTM, just because it doesn't need shifted or clutched quite as often, but racing the Yamaha I certainly feel faster as I am frequently at or near the rev limiter, bouncing it off trees. It's a rush to ride and when I brought home a second KTM quad I thought about it for a few days and I can't bring myself to sell the thing. Honestly, I think I'd let the backup KTM go first as dumb as that probably is, because when I add it all up, I really think the 2008 YFZ450 is a phenomenal machine, and considering my Polaris / KTM roots.. that surprised the hell out of me.

2009 KTM 450XC
2009 KTM 250XC
2005 Predator 558 (project)
2003 Cannondale 440 (project)
2006 KLX 250S
2002 Scrambler X 500
Sold, crashed, or otherwise gone: 2008 YFZ450, 2005 Predator 500 LE, 2007 Outlaw 525, 2003 Cannondale 440
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #57 
interesting read and a nice looking yamaha. sweet post. and yes i actually read the WHOLE THING!

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #58 
Oh, boy Walt...where to start.

First off, I'm sorry I didn't call. Feel better? haha

I put a stock YFZ throttle lever on this machine and I like it better so far. I probably should have just invested in the Honda throttle from the get-go. We'll see what happens after a long ride.

Interesting point with the cam mod done and starting. That's one thing I've been fairly impressed with on this machine is it's quick starting when I do my little trick (same as on the KTM). I'll probably do the cam mod once just to see how the power is, but I'll make sure to notice the starting differences.

Charging system: I don't have a headlight switch, so I should be good. The machine still has the headlights on it though. The previous owner is an electrician and did a bunch of mods under the hood and he said it's better than stock. I've looked around the machine and so far he did a damn good job.

I guess I need to talk to you about the rear suspension. I'm pretty sure my rear shock is way too soft. Seems whatever adjustment I make and it's still soft. I prefer the KTM much better in the rough stuff. I also have the GT Thunder link on the back. You running the stock link? Shocks are re-worked stockers from JET.

As for the power, the issue was jetting. A post around here mentioned that. Had a 180 main in the poor thing. It's quite a machine now! Just need to throw my wideband on it to fine tune the ole girl now.

Front end: I've got Housers on it and yes, I moved the spacers on the KTM and it still pushes a tad. I need to try a different tire combo. I did adjust the toe-in a bit and that seemed to help as well.

Reply with quote  #59 
The whole starting thing with the cam mod is something I would say was more tune related than anything. They are pretty fussy about the pilot jet and tune. My 15:1 compression 501 is extremely fussy. I didn't have any luck with it until I put the dynatek on and pulled a couple degrees of base timing out. The stock Yamaha timing curve is terrible IMO, I picked up 4 mph top end and was able to make it start a million times better with my programmable dynatek.

Also my Polaris burns quite a bit more fuel than my yfz riding side by side all day. Odd that you have a different result with the KTM and YFZ.
Fossil85

Wisconsin Redneck
Reply with quote  #60 
Excellent write up Walt.  Now I want a yfz.  Thanks a lot. 
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #61 
Took a ride with the new nerfs and I have mixed feelings.  Do they work?  Yes!  Do I like them?  Not really.  The ONLY reason I don't care for them too much is they raised the peg about an inch over the Rath's I had on when I got it.  With a machine that's this small to start with and my being 6'2", I need about all the room I can get.  I'm seriously thinking about going back to the Rath's and rigging up some nerfs for them out of my "not being used stuff" pile.

To touch a little more on the nerf itself, I can truly feel the pegs working like they should.  They don't move around obnoxiously but they dampen a lot of impacts that I would have felt in my ankles.  It's a great concept.  If the pegs were lower there would be no question in my mind to keep them for sure.  We'll see.

I also swapped out the Engine Ice for traditional glycol coolant and also swapped the orange hoses for the stock black hoses and added a temperature gauge.  I had it idling in the garage and the temp got up to 191 when I shut it off and the fan didn't even think about coming on like Walt said.

Another thing I did was remove the headlights.  They were only there for looks so now I have less weight, more parts to sell, more airflow to the radiator, and a much easier time taking the front plastic off (had to remove headlights to get to a set of bolts).

On to the pictures!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8620_3_1.JPG, Views: 28, Size: 114.77 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8622_4_1.JPG, Views: 36, Size: 118.07 KB 

LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #62 
too bad they don't make the pegs adjustable. a creative fella like yourself should be able to make that happen.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #63 
Oh, I could make it happen but I don't like playing with the main nerf bar bracket (my questionable welds haha).  Who knows...I just may do it.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #64 
Come on nick u can do it i have too remake my outlaw peg mounts you can totally do it just use thick.metal lol

07 525 irs outlaw {wideload}we
04 r6

n more
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Nick
Oh, I could make it happen but I don't like playing with the main nerf bar bracket (my questionable welds haha).  Who knows...I just may do it.

this? from a guy who is willing to take a basically brand new mxr450 and chop it in half to shoehorn another engine in?

come on now? make it happen. you know i live vicariously through your builds.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #66 
Dang it Leo!  It will be your ass when I break off a peg mount and run my foot over.  lol

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #67 
well if you break your foot off, i will buy the 690 off of you to help pay your medical bills, yes i am that nice.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #68 
Well I think I found out why it didn't handle too well in the braking bumps.  Both knobs on the Precision were ALL the way out.  Yeah, it was doing nothing.  Really nice.  Still trying to find a good way to make a lowering bracket for the nerfs and narrow the machine up a bit.

Reply with quote  #69 
Traded Lane my MX axle for his stocker.  Just installed it tonight and it put me right where I want to be.  Currently sitting at 46 1/8" on the rear and 46 3/8" on the front.  Was at about 47.5 in the rear.  Glad I didn't get the 4+1 front rims now.  I also noticed it will turn a bit tighter with the 3+2's too since the rim won't hit the a-arms as soon as a narrower offset rim.  Need to pick up a sprocket hub circlip and all will be good to go.

Reply with quote  #70 
Updated picture.  Finally put it together last night and took it for a quick spin today.  The snow on the ground shortened my ride time but it was nice to ride it again.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_8695_1_1.JPG, Views: 24, Size: 118.13 KB 

strubby

Reply with quote  #71 
Nice looking Yami Nick. I have to catch up on all the other threads now to see which one you are liking best... haha.

'12 RZR XP 900 LE EPS (LOTS of Mods SOLD)

'15 RZR XP 1000 Highlifter Edition

Free Service Manuals: http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/20082009-ktm-450525-RFS-service-manuals-5802622
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #72 
Was messing with the old girl tonight swapping out the Houser nerfs for the Rath pegs.  Just couldn't figure out how to lower them without hacking the crap out of them.  I measured from side to side and they are 7/8" difference.  Sitting on the quad with one of each peg was astonishing.  It was crazy how cramped I felt with the Houser nerfs.  

Reply with quote  #73 
Well, I no longer own a Yamaha.  Sold it tonight to a guy in Indiana.  I'm glad I got to try one out and can see why some people like them but it wasn't for me.

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #74 
COOL IT WAS FUN TO ENJOY YOUR REVIEW AND BUILD.

2008 POLARIS RZR 800
Deadman

Reply with quote  #75 
Making room for another build?  

Reply with quote  #76 
Maybe....

Reply with quote  #77 
Nick did you feel kind of cramped on the YFZ? A few of my buddy's owned them (or still do) and I never liked them for myself. Maybe it was too cramped for me, I dunno but I had the LTR at that time so I guess I was spoiled when it came to rider room and comfort. Hope it was a good sale for you.

'12 RZR XP 900 LE EPS (LOTS of Mods SOLD)

'15 RZR XP 1000 Highlifter Edition

Free Service Manuals: http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/20082009-ktm-450525-RFS-service-manuals-5802622
LE Nick

Reply with quote  #78 
YES!  That's one of the main reasons it hit the road.  Check out my review thread.

http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/KTM-vs-LTR-vs-YFZ-6170909

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.