Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Quad Geezer

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Polaris Pro Riders 
 Got my 07 predator in  July for a decent price with some extras.It has been awhile since I had  a quad, my last one was a DS 650. I love the power and way the predator handles on relatively smooth fire roads, but in the whoops it darts (not rear end swap, the quad just takes a hard right or left off the trail)  badly from side to side every now and then, enough to cause me to crash yesterday. The guy that had the quad before me put a 2008 Outlaw Fox podium X shock on the rear and works steelers on the front. It this a trait of the quad or something I am missing, I set the air pressures in the tires and dialed the suspension into where it felt good to me. I like the quad and dont plan on getting rid of it ,but I would also like to be able to trust it in the whoops , any help would be appreciated. 
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
I think the 2008 Outlaw rear shock is a couple inches too long for the predator. When you get a chance measure the length of your rear shock and I will measure the length of the rear shock on my 2008 525s outlaw. I am not necessarily saying that is part of the problem but it could be. also if the front end is set too high and it has too much toe in it can really make it get squirrely

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
Quad Geezer

Reply with quote  #3 
The Outlaw shock was a fair amount longer , I think 2 inches ,I did refabricate the rear mount to account for the length and to try and lower the quad in the back. The initial set -up was so long I could barely lift the quad high enough to slide the rearend around( I am 5ft 10 in), and also the shock spring hit the swing arm on  full extension. Even after bringing the shock mount into what I would consider a reasonable height and angle it still darts.Thanks for the reply,it looks like you have been around here forever and i appreciate your input.I was going to go out and play with the Toe adjustment after I heal up from  the pounding it gave me yesterday. It flipped me off the left side at about 25 mph and then rolled over on top of me pinning me between it and a sagebrush, I thought it broke my hip or my pelvic bone.I wish i had video of the crash, it probably would have looked hilarious.
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #4 
Yes the most painful wrecks usually look the best I'm glad you survived it be careful on that thing until you get it figured out

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #5 
You might start with simple stuff like slop in the front end bushings and bearings and rear swing arm.
  Does that have the Pro-Link front linkages like the early outlaws?  If so, the centerlink gets bent pretty easy and can effect the geometry- it also wears out and get really loose.  Also that entire assembly is very prone to the bearings/bushings wearing out and getting allot of slop in the front end steering.  Fuj here used to make a heavy duty replacement linkage (I have one and it is miles stronger and tighter than the stocker).  It sounds like you may have a case of bump steer or other play in your steering that causing the wheel to change direction as you go through the jumps.
  Also of course check your toe settings.  I usually do this with somebody setting on the bike or I drag out the dumbells out of my house and weigh down the quad with approx my body weight, but I've found that with the pro-link set up, that the toe on mine hardly changes at all from the top of the travel to fully compressed "bump steer"... maybe 1/4".  My daughter's DVX and my scrambler 500 move all over the place- lol.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Quad Geezer

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you sir for the input, I have the last part of this week off from work and next week I will bring the quad to my shop so I can fix the steering shaft that got bent and the frame support that it is attached to. I know the rear swing arm bushings are good, the front control arm bushings do have some play in them. I didnt think they were that bad but i will definitely be checking out the front end closer and I will let you know if I find anything bent or super loose, the Clymer manual I have says 0-1/16 toe out . Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for the input.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #7 
I know the  manual shows toe out... but I usually set mine about 1/16- 1/4" toe in.  Honestly, I don't think Ive ever tried toe out on my outlaw, so I really don't know if it makes it more stable or anything.

I strongly suggest that you inspect that center link assembly, especially now that its been wrecked as they bend really easy. 

Quad Geezer

Reply with quote  #8 
It looks like 2006 was the last year for the "PRO STEERING" system on the predator or at least thats what the Clymer manual is showing me. My steering system just has the shaft and the tie rod ends hook to a plate at the bottom of it, like every other ATV i have ever seen. I had the wife come out in the garage with me last night and help me move the front end side to side looking for slop in the tierods and they were tight. I dont know why but the rear tires kept popping into my head last night, they are Kenda Klaw XCR 6 plys, and they are reversible depending upon if you ride in hard or soft. I am going to swap them from side to side before I ride through that whoop section next time and see if that gets rid of the problem. I'll let you know what it feels like.

Thanks again for the input
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #9 
I have used Kenda Klaws and Kenda Kutters on my Outlaw as well as a couple of other quads and really had no issues with them at all. I'd be looking for toe settings, proper spring rates for a rider your size, and compression and rebound adjustments on your shocks.  Maybe have someone video you going the whoops and watching to see if the suspension is packing up or anything... and you get the nice side benefit that if you wreck again you'll have a cool video of it this time...lol!

Quad Geezer

Reply with quote  #10 
Hello Pro Riders
Update on my 2007 Predator, I finally got my quad out today after repairing the damage done during the crash. I checked the toe and it was at 3/8 toed out, I set it at 1/8 toe in and it rides like a completely different quad, no more darting and wandering. I also noticed that the preload setting for the big spring on the rear Fox podium shock was set too stiff, so i am sure that had something to do with the rear suspension action in the whoops. When i got to my riding spot I rode it up and down dirt roads with the new toe settings and then  after I confirmed that the toe setting was a positive change I went through the whoop section that I had crashed in and the quad tracked very nicely, no suprises. I am only going at about 50 -75% because I am still a little sore from the crash. I then went back to the truck and loosened the big spring preload nut and dialed it back a little, it softened up the rear end and felt better. I have downloaded a Podium manual and have the info to set up the shock but it is kind of confusing and i will work on it later. What I am really excited about is the snow we are starting to get in the Sierras here and I prepped my 2013 RMK 800 163 this weekend and will be hoping to get that out here in the near future.  

Thanks for the input.
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for the update!  It may help with someone else having the same problem. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.