Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, Ive got a silly question.
  When Im messing around with my buddies and doing our "drag races" my quad launches allot better in 2nd gear than in first.  Usually the tires spin too much then the front end comes up and I have to let out using 1st gear (and Im currently running a 15t front sprocket/stock rear gear). 

So why not use a 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket and launch in 1st gear?  Then I'd be able to keep the RPMS down while I'm riding on the more open trails and back roads.  Im also using a Rekluse clutch so it wouldn't make me ride the clutch or anything and really 1st gear is usually only good for showing off anyhow (Burnouts and wheelies).

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
I am with you 100% on a big Sprocket in front I tried a 16 tooth and you cannot get a case saver on there with the 16 tooth then if you snap a chain goodbye engine case

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #3 
Also a 16 tooth is pretty tough for drag racing in the sand dunes and for real slow technical stuff tight trails and such.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
Yah, I don't do much duning, and the one time I went it worked better in 1st gear (Paddles take allot more to get turning). 

With the Rekluse I haven't had a problem with any low RPM stuff on the trails.  Plus I think all them Tungsten and steel balls spinning around really add to the flywheel effect when I drop the clutch for racing.  lol

Fuj

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What Leo said about busting cases. You can try the ol' drop
a few teeth in the rear, but then you have to worry about
sawing into your swinger pivot. Best would be a lesser aggressive
tire. Years back, a few would get freebie 2 ply take offs. They
would initially spin, then hook up. And being 2 ply, they would grow
taller, giving a top end advantage.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuj
What Leo said about busting cases. You can try the ol' drop
a few teeth in the rear, but then you have to worry about
sawing into your swinger pivot. Best would be a lesser aggressive
tire. Years back, a few would get freebie 2 ply take offs. They
would initially spin, then hook up. And being 2 ply, they would grow
taller, giving a top end advantage.

Hi Fuj, hope your doin well.
Since its an IRS I'm really limited on rear sprocket choices. 37 is the smallest I've found... I think it puts the chain too close to the bolt heads to go smaller.
Hey Fuj, maybe you could fan up a thin case saver for something like this?

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Tx, I ride sand 95% of the time, I run 22x11x10, 5 paddle rippers 1 1/8 tall or 22 x 11 x 10 8 paddle hauler ,  run a 14 front tooth and a 39 rear and can take off in second most of the time. I have gone to 15 with 36 and done the first gear take off, well lets just say it didn't seem to be the right set up for the riding i do. Some of the tree  shots  didn't like the higher gearing, and really top speed wasn't worth the difference, sand eats speed unless you float on top,  I bet I have tried as much money in tire combinations ( about 20 different paddle tire sizes and configurations and about 16 front tire configurations ) as in motor performance combinations  ( big bore, stroker, cams , compression ratio's )  But all in all you will need to find what you like best for the sand you ride! Every sand area is different, like wet coarse to dry and fluffy, and how you like to ride, like down in a hole with a super steep straight up climb or long roller dunes, I've road every sand dune area west of Mississippi in the USA sometime in my 51 years.  Some places I remember well and some I have forgot, But sand changes every day.
I'm no good at drags anymore, to old to want to run from a dead stop slam gears lol, I do like the roll on races up a long dune with my buddies or the occasional flat out top speed run on the 2 mile flat strip at our sand box in Florence Oregon.
All in all, first gear to me  really is used when you need that grunt to lift up the front for going over a big obstacle in a tight spot, or down in some place I really shouldn't be, or I'm being lazy..lol
Don't know if any of this helps or not. and it's just my opinion.
Have a great day!!!

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks guys,
  Most of my riding are on fire roads and pretty open trails.  I just don't like listening to the motor revving like crazy on long rides at 40-50 mph on open roads for miles at a time.

I suppose the CT exhaust noise makes it more annoying to me, theres something about the tone or frequency of the disc type exhausts that bothers me.  I have a Supertrapp on my streetbike and the tone of it bugged me so I ended up getting a conventional end cap for it and it now sounds pretty good.  I just didn't want to go that route on my quad and lose the US Forest Approved Spark arrestor approval of my CT exhaust as we ride on US Forest lands primarily.  I also was hoping to make 1st gear a little more controllable with the higher gearing

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
TX put this on and it changes the whole sound!!! I just used dennis kirk for the picture.

https://www.denniskirk.com/25986.sku

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraction628
TX put this on and it changes the whole sound!!! I just used dennis kirk for the picture.

https://www.denniskirk.com/25986.sku

Lol! I've already got one. It did seem to help a little. I repacked it too.... still has an annoying pitch. My old HMF had a much better sound but I went to the CT in search of more power.

distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Pack it with medium stainless steel wool , it changes the pitch a little.

Reply with quote  #12 
I've got it packed pretty tight with course stainless steel right now.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.