Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
Strongermaple4

Reply with quote  #1 
I have an 08 outlaw 525s ktm that smokes a decent amount when heavily throttled. Any suggestions? I ordered new gaskets and a new piston/rings. I haven’t taken it apart yet. Anything I should look for or adjust before I do?
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #2 
Is the smoke blue, black, or white?

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Strongermaple4

Reply with quote  #3 
White smoke. I took the engine apart. Apparently it didn’t have an exhaust manifold seal on it. Also the piston looks like it has a few scratches on the side which corresponds to the scratches in the cylinder chamber. No burrs or gouges though. Just a couple streaks that are smooth no dips. The cylinder didn’t wear nor did the chamber. I bought new wiseco cylinder and rings and ordered all new gaskets all around.

Anyone who says you need to break the timing chain in the ktm is wrong. The pin can be pushed out and pressed back in. Lol
TxOutlawRider

Reply with quote  #4 
White is usually steam from an internal water leak so inspect your head and cylinder real good for cracks.
As for the cam chain, I sure believe you. The only problem I can see is that the cam chain wear out pretty quick and when they've stretched too much they jump time and really screw up stuff. I had it happen. So you might wanna spend a few dollars and get a new chain. Its cheaper than replacing bent valves and a piston.

"Outlaws are the Chuck Norris of the quad world."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.