Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
botlAbash

Reply with quote  #1 
Short version to save you all time. (Im a talker)

I bought a bike in a box, the engine was apart, and I mean like lower and upper end in every conceivable piece with a rolling chassis. I bought it because it was a killer deal but I knew I was being dumb even at the time. its rebuild and all together after having rebuild the transmission/clutch and bending the crank back into shape,ect I did the top end, everything but cam and valves was replaced on the top end short of a new jug.

Its all together and running now but it gets hot after only a few min of idling, the exhaust started going red which is when I turned it off, not sure if this is normal or not but the temp sensor didn't go and the fan didn't turn on until literally the second I turned the bike off.
It also has a coolant leak on the side of the head under where the water pump is, I know in cars that means failed water pump but I don't think this is the case, is it an overflow/drain I need to put a bolt in or are there seals I should order? is it going into the pocked with the impeller or behind it and its seals?
It is hard to start but with the hand as a choke trick and a battery boost starts up with some finicing around.

Heat
1. There maybe an air bubble(s) in the head since I had forgotten to tilt and bleed the coolant system (all the bikes before this one were always fine and seemed to clear the air themselves, but Ive been told that's not the case here) so I'm gonna give that a shot when I get back to it.
2. is it possible that its running lean due to a clogged jet or something along those lines contributing to this problem? Possible since the carb is the one thing I didn't touch.

Coolant
1. I'm hoping its just an Oring or something, I cant find a kit so I don't know for sure which parts to replace but Ive ordered the two OEM Orings that go behind the Impeller. What else should I grab for the job? sealant or something?
2. How hot is this bike supposed to get, should the fan turn on while its idling (and getting hot)[that it did not may have been only bad timing on my part turning it off too soon] and will the fan turn on if my sensor is bad and how do I tell if that's the case?

Starting
1. Brand new battery wont hold a charge (its an AGM platinum 2 from bike master) Worked fine out of the box but it wont seem to accept a charge now (only 2-3 weeks later.) What could I have done to kill it so fast, I cant send it back being Canadian the border is a problem especially with battery's.
2. As I said above I don't know much about this carb (Or many Carbs as I'm young enough that everything Ive had besides lawn equipment and my KFX400 has had EFI) so what could cause starting Issues but no problem once its going if you give it a tap of gas?, Primary jet partially clogged, floats stuck?
3. I don't know anything about this Carb but it seems to be an absolute pain with an electronic throttle body and plastic parts on it, could I not change it out for something simpler (and thus more reliable and easy to deal with) without a performance hit as long as I get the same size or bigger carb with around the same jetting? or is that problematic? Haha or maybe swap the 2010 KTM head with a DOHC and EFI on it. Thats just my evil genius talking though lol.

Let me know what you think, I can also send a video of it starting up or whatever else if that would help. Thanks in advance.

Major Performance mods:
ProX lightened connecting rod
Wisco 12.5/1 piston/rings/wristpin
Yosh pipe (Not sure how to tell if its a slip on or full system but I suspect slip on)
I know nothing about the carb so its possible that its has jetting changes
botlAbash

Reply with quote  #2 
Just thought of it now, if there's an Air bubble it would mean that the bike isnt pushing fluid which would mean that the water in the Rad may very-well not be getting hot enough fast enough to trip the sensor even if it is good. That would explain the fan not turning on as well as the overheating, so if bleeding it fixes that all I need (hopefully) are two washers to stop the coolant leak and I should be set.... Right?
botlAbash

Reply with quote  #3 
I also have some questions about the bike in general as well as mods that Ive been thinking about.
How many KM would you get out of the stock tank riding aggressively and by extension is an IMS tank worth the money?
Do the controls fit a 1 and 1/8ths handlebar or do you need to change more than just the handlebar mounts and the bar its-self?
Do the front and rear tires have the same bolt pattern, Im looking at front wheel spacers as I tend to find myself lifting a tire when I turn aggressively and I would love to be able to turn harder.
They sell 30mm spacers for the front and 45mm for the back but dont say anything about the bolt pattern. Would this effect my toe/caster at all and would I need to upgrade my bearings/bushings?
Looking into going to a 22 rear and 23 (In height) front tire from  the 18 and 20 I have now, I feel like the ground clearance would be nice but I also ride very fast around corners and the 450MXR is already a very top heavy bike. Thoughts? full suspension change to fix that I guess...
Im 6"5' and find the handlebars fine when sitting with a slouch but I have to crunch to stand and effectively steer at the same time, which I can do for a few hours but all day and you start feeling it. I was thinking about going to a 2 inch riser but it seems that they don't sell any good name brand ones that I can see, any suggestions as to whether to go more or less height and maybe a brand to point out I may have missed?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
There is a bleed screw on the head by the spark plug, if there is air around the water pump, it won't pump.  . Glowing red pipe could be lean or rich, or even valves out of adjustment.  Ive seen over rich makes pipe red as the fuel starts to ignite in the pipe, Ive seen lean do to the higher temps in the combustion chamber ( witch will also cause the motor to get real hot.
Hope that helps.

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The FCR is one of the best carbs out there and one of the easiest to jet, So many parts are out there for it.  get this and you will be see if your lean or rich.
http://www.wide-band.com/product-p/apsx_d2n.htm

Reply with quote  #6 
Would it not run hot enough to turn the exhaust red if the coolant wasn't circulating? Like if my Exhaust turns red (at idle) it means its running inappropriately hot but does it also mean that it doesn't have the right AFR?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #7 
AFR is probably lean on the pilot . Yes temp can play a part in it getting that hot.  Take your radiator cap off and see if coolant moves when you give the throttle a bump or two.  What air intake set up are you running? What  pilot and main jet? What clip is the needle on? Is your intake carb boot cracked? ( between motor and carb )  Yosh made a slip on and full , a picture of the head pipe would tell us what one it is. Starting , this is how mine is Pump the throttle twice hit the start button, vrom, if colder the 50 degree F. Same but as soon as it fires I pull the choke ( well it really is a enrichment system ) let it warm up a couple minutes, push choke in, and go. The plastic throttle thing your talking about, only tells the ignition when to advance at a certain throttle position .  Did you open the bleed screw on the head to get the air out of the coolant system?

Reply with quote  #8 
Stock air box with a uni foam filter and a yoshi slip on, Ive seen alot of you have side mounts this one goes under the seat and out the back.
Not sure on my jetting sizes as I bought the bike second hand and only cleaned the carb and put it back together. how do I check, will it be written on the points or do I need to measure them somehow?
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Pull the nut on the fuel bowl 17mm , the main takes a 6mm and the pilot is straight blade , pull the Jets out and read the numbers on them. Leo has pictures of the carb in outlaw how to's

Reply with quote  #10 
Sorry for the long response time, Im a busy guy sadly.

I haven't had a chance to go out there and tinker with the bike yet but should hopefully have time this weekend so I still don't know what the jet sizes are or if venting the coolant system fixed the heating problem but Im inclined to think stock jet sizes would be in the carb as really nothing was aftermarket when I bought it.
I looked it up and the internet says to adjust the drive chain I loosen the two bolts at the end of my swingarm roll the bike alittle bit to release the mechanism inside fully compress my rear suspension and adjust the chain, is this correct?
Before I looked it up I had tried by loosening the bolts but I couldn't get anything to move around, except the brake caliper that seems to have some give to it even when I re-tighten said bolts (is that normal.)
Secondarily in the past I had turned my carborated things using my ear and the spark plug, is this acceptable for a bike like this or should I just get it close and then take it to a shop? also what would be a normal price for someone to tune an ATV?
Ive also noticed that I'm missing the reverse lockout cable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Reverse-Cable-2007-2008-Polaris-Outlaw-450-525-MXR-IRS-S-7081389-/141913898709
Are there any cheaper places to buy this or make my own with throttle linkage (12CAD) as that's 60-70CAD after shipping im sure, a bit steep for something Im only going to use putting it in and out of the garage or maybe occasionally on a trail. I know my KFX400 had reverse but I seldom used it.
distraction628

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #11 
No you can't really tune by ear other then idle. Down load the service manual on how to adjust the chain, it mentions putting in a rod, or screwdriver through a hole and moving the quad forward and backward to adjust! Don't over tighten your chain!!! I;m sure there are shops that can maker or get you a better deal on the reverse cable .  Well I use my reverse a lot. so it is handy to have.  I will advise you again get a af gauge set up. you will be glad you did!!! It make tuning so much easier when you don't do it all the time. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.