Polaris Pro Riders

Author   Comment  
525polaris10

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #1 
As some of you may know I just picked up an 07 katoom 250 xcf-w. I traded my honda supermoto for a trx which I just sold to get this bike. I'm coming off a 2012 kawi klx250s dual sport. The kawi is a far better road bike milk getter than a dirt bike. That being said here are my first thoughts of my new to me ktm

So to start the bike is PA plated, has 570 miles, 31 hours and looks super clean. The frame has no dents at all. The front tire has ok tread and the rear is pretty beat. The rims are straight as I can see and they are some nice black excels might I add. (Just some cool factor) the bike already had an fmf q4 exhaust and stock jetting which has been giving me some problems. Since this bike does not come street legal from the factory the guy had put the lighting kit on it. The headlight is god awful ugly And makes the bike look dated. Other than that it has a skid plate and some barkbusters.

I picked it up Saturday and left it in the truck overnite for a trip down to the singletracks I ride in wharton nj area. I should have taken it down and fully checked it out but it was getting late and we had to put my buddy's bike in the truck as well. To start Sunday morning the bike was having trouble starting. The battery has lost its juice which leaves me to the kickstart.(which thank the gods for putting one on there) I start the bike with the choke and it runs for a while. Then I killed the choke and it dies. So I figured before I do anything to it let me try and ride it and clear it out. After it was warm it ran a little better but still stalling when coming to a stop and lettin it idle. I had to also put about half a quart of oil in there which makes me a little nervous.( there are no leaks, we checked everything we could from the outside. The guy I got it from said its been sitting for 3 months and he had the dealer perform the first service check about 200 miles ago)

So on we go.
For me the power is unreal!! Now I'm kinda new to the whole dirtbike thing but jeez this bike has balls! Lined up to my buddies drz400s(piped and jetted)I am right with him. Once I get more comfortable on it we will really line up for a legit race just for the hell of it. So besides my jetting and stalling issue the suspension needs to be properly set for my style and weigh. This was kickin my ass all day in whooped out singletracks. The seat also needs to go for a super soft seat. My ass is killing me so bad rite now. Haha.

I've never ridden a bike with no rear linkage either. So this was a big plus for me especially for tree crossings. I felt it also tracked straight as an arrow thought some rough whoops and silt sugar sand. From the kawi to this is a night and day difference with the weight as well through sand. I would struggle my ass off and almost loose it every time on the kawi. With this ktm i just pin it and lean back and I have no issues.

The motor is super high reving. I believe something like a 13k redline. With the wide range ratio trans I was able to lug 3rd into a tight turn, slam the rear brake to slide and slip the clutch and have way more power and go than the kawi could have ever done. The bike loves 3rd for the riding I'm doin. On the kawi it was a 1st 2nd 3rd battle all day long and no power no matter how I slipped the clutch from a skidding turn.

The bike is exactly what I was looking for. It's going to need some love and money thrown at it to get it where I want it but atleast I don't have to worry about any more power issues. I think ill be holding this one for a while!

At the end of the day the bike was having a lot of trouble staying running. I'd have to constantly keep the revs up. And on every downshift when I would blip the throttle it would bog. Someone mentioned to me it could need a valve job but idk about that at 600 miles. The guy said its been sitting for 3 months so I'm hoping its just a gummed up carb issue. I just Powerwashed it and will strip it down for a thorough check next chance I get in the garage.

2010 IRS http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/My-IRS-build-6344146?trail=#1
2007 Ktm 250 xcf-w
2012 klx250 supermoto
2008 silverado
I'd like to thank my sponsors-Chase, Paypal, and PPR
LEOGM5150

SITE OWNER
Reply with quote  #2 
i would surely clean the carb really well first. before i changed anything. also if it is still the fcr carb i would surely do the oring mod. i bet that will help any bog. keep us updated i am very glad you are happy with your latest deal.

MY GREATEST FEAR IS THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL MY TOYS FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I HAVE INTO THEM...

2014 POLARIS RZR 4 900 EPS
2012 POLARIS RZR 4 900 XP
2008 POLARIS RZR 800
2008 POLARIS OUTLAW 525S LE
2007 POLARIS OUTLAW 525 IRS
2000 400 RCR TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2001 400 TWO STROKE SCRAMBLER
2005 SKI DOO 1000 TWO STROKE SAND SLED
525polaris10

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes o ring mod is on the list as well as oil change, filter, valve adjust, seat, headlight, battery, rear tire, suspension, protection...is it even done?haha
2010 IRS http://www.polarisproriders.com/post/My-IRS-build-6344146?trail=#1
2007 Ktm 250 xcf-w
2012 klx250 supermoto
2008 silverado
I'd like to thank my sponsors-Chase, Paypal, and PPR
08IRS

Supporting Member
Reply with quote  #4 
small list....lol

Glad you love the bike because that was a haul to get it.

SOLD - 08 Outlaw IRS Uni filter,O-ring mod, Cycra hand guards, 2" Rox anti-vibe risers, HMF Sport pipe, ODI Rogue grips (thanks PPR),Pro Armor Kill switch, IMS Nerfs and heel guards, PP grab bar, PRM Outlaw front bumper, Rekluse clutch, Precision Stabilizer & Flexx bars.

02 Scrambler 400 4x4
86 TRX250R
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.